• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] flashing Custom ROM's to unlocked phone

emmanuel78

Feb 9, 2012
ok, well i just recently unlocked my phone with S-on. (HTC unlock bootloader method)

Android: 2.3.4
HTC Sencse: 3.0
software number: 2.17.651.5

i want to install a Cool Custom ROM, but i dont wanna ruin my phone, i want something cool and that allows me to use my phone regulary,

i would really appreciate it if someone could show me a VERY easy tutorial on how to do this.

i want to install the "cleanROMreborn" i heard its cool,

do i need to do anything else besides flash the rom? and do i need to change the kernel version?

ok, well i just recently unlocked my phone with S-on. (HTC unlock bootloader method)

Android: 2.3.4
HTC Sencse: 3.0
software number: 2.17.651.5

i want to install a Cool Custom ROM, but i dont wanna ruin my phone, i want something cool and that allows me to use my phone regulary,

i would really appreciate it if someone could show me a VERY easy tutorial on how to do this.

i want to install the "cleanROMreborn" i heard its cool,

do i need to do anything else besides flash the rom? and do i need to change the kernel version?

Welcome to the forums, and the world of rooting!!! :)

The best way to show you how to flash roms is to follow jerofld's guide found here .

Following that guide is the best way to flash a rom for the new Hboot and S-ON.

Make sure you do Step 2, and replace the stock rom in that step with the rom of your choice.

Since your Hboot is already unlocked, you can skip Step 4.

Changing kernels is a little more involved with S-ON, so lets concentrate on getting a ROM flashed first, then we'll get started on Kernels. :)

If you have any issues or questions please let us know. :)

Reactions: emmanuel78
Upvote 0
thanks for the kindness, i thought i was gonna get flamed..

i have the one i want,

now does flashing a ROM mean putting it onto my phone?

then for the kernel, i need to have a matching kernel for the ROM and then i just change the kernel?

am i understanding this right?

You shouldn't ever have to worry about being flamed on Android Forums. If you ever do get attacked or insulted, please click the
report.gif
button next to the offending post. We take matters like this very seriously.

Flashing the ROM means installing the ROM. It's just computer lingo for installing software onto a flash drive.

Every ROM comes with a kernel built in. So don't worry about flashing a kernel separately. But, as a HBOOT 1.5 user, you just have to be careful of how you flash ROMs, so that the included kernel flashes properly. But if you were to flash a custom kernel on top of the ROM, yes, you would flash it after flashing the ROM.

how do i make a back up of my phone settings and all right now? just in case i wanted to go back to my original settings...

The guide I wrote (and the one Granite1 linked) goes over how to make backups and how to flash everything properly. Give it a read! Just skip step 4, as you're already unlocked.

Upvote 0
i need some help, i got to the part where i have a green and black screen,

in the tutorial i dont understand what it means by:

"Now that we have TWRP 1.1.1 installed, we should make a back up. This is done by using the volume keys and pushing power as enter. Now you have a few options. You can back up as much or as little as you want. But I'd recommend that you backup:

System
Data
Boot
Wimax

Everything else is optional, in my opinion."

could you tell me how to back up everything of mine? thats important so i dont brick my phone?

please and thanks...

Upvote 0
i need some help, i got to the part where i have a green and black screen,

in the tutorial i dont understand what it means by:

"Now that we have TWRP 1.1.1 installed, we should make a back up. This is done by using the volume keys and pushing power as enter. Now you have a few options. You can back up as much or as little as you want. But I'd recommend that you backup:

System
Data
Boot
Wimax

Everything else is optional, in my opinion."

could you tell me how to back up everything of mine? thats important so i dont brick my phone?

please and thanks...

That green and black screen should read "Team Win Recovery Project 1.1.1" at the top. TWRP = Team Win Recovery Project

Scroll to backup/restore using the volume keys and then push the power button. It'll then give 2 options (if I'm remembering all of this correctly, I haven't used TWRP in a while) backup and restore. You want backup. Then it'll give you options on what you want to back up. You definitely want the four options I listed, but you can check everything if you so desire. Then wait for the backup to complete.

Upvote 0
ok, i just backed up my phone.

now im at the part where its telling me to find the ROM.

when i go to ROM's in my sdcard. i select the ROM im using, (cleanROM reborn 1.1)

and it shows me that all the files are on the sdcard but i cant find out how to flash the whole ROM

it doesnt give me an option. (that i see at least)

oh and just adding: i can see the ROM in my sd card. just cant flash it

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones