1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [CDMA] Getting stock 1.13.651.7 (rooted, hboot 1.4) up to stock 2.17.651.5 help needed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wha2do, May 6, 2012.

1. wha2do

wha2do Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    I rooted my EVO3D awhile back (hboot 1.4, stock v1.13.651.7), have TWRP 1.1.1 flashed, and made my nandroids, backups (using Titanium Backup, MyBackup, SMS Restore, etc - ok, overkill but...). At the moment only want to bring it current with the OTA 2.17.651.5 update. Been reading and came across what appears to be answers to my question:

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...e-updating-new-2-17-firmware-hboot-1-4-a.html

After reading multiple times, I still want to make I'm sure doing it right and understanding what's going on! If I read it right, flashing Freeza's AIO linked in that post will only update my firmware. As said, to get full advantage of the updated firmware, I should also flash "Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip" (my choice vs the deodex version).

Jerofld gave step by step instructions which seem straightforward (reply #12) - and seems to be what I want/need to do. I just need to follow this step by step, right?

One question about the "Restore your stock ROM NANDroid" step. Assuming her android was made while running 2.08, won't this undo Freeza's firmware update? In my case if I went back to my last nandroid, wouldn't mine revert back to 1.13.651.7? Or am I missing something - seems like I want to do all but this one step, and then make a new nandroid for v2.17.651.5. Then I'm covered with the new and still have the old to restore if needed...

And maybe too many questions in one, but wondering about then restoring my apps and data. Using Titanium Backup, would the option to restore missing apps + all system data mess anything up (thinking older version of system apps/data being restored on top of the new?). Will do more digging, but seems like less written on the indepth process of restoring data!

Thanks from an always learning noob, lol!

Advertisement

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Correct.

Correct.

No, the only thing that undoes a firmware flash is another firmware flash. NANDroids do nothing to the firmware.

Never restore system data with TiBu. Only user apps + data. You'll have to re-set up your screen, but you won't have weird issues with the system. You're less likely to have system crashes.

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    He is HBoot 1.4, is this for also 1.4 ??

4. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I read 1.5 when he said 1.4. I really do hate HTC Dev. It makes thing so much more complicated.

5. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    I agree, I was freaking out, I thought there was a walk around, that is why I asked, thanks

6. wha2do

wha2do Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    I'm reading this as a concern about being at hboot 1.4 vs 1.5. Will this work fine with me being at 1.4 (I unlocked using Revolutionary, TWRP recovery image 1.1.1 flashed)? In the original post I found these steps, the poster also was unlocked Revolutionary with hboot 1.4. This won't update me to hboot 1.5 figuring the updated stock ROM has the hboot removed right? I was thinking being at 1.4 made things "easier"!

And I should have looked closer at one of my nandroids and remembered it's the partitions that are backed up (System, Recovery, Data, etc). Curious about the reason for restoring the nandroid after the firmware flash. I figure best is to restore a full nandroid backup just prior to running Freeza's AIO flash?

So long story short, using the original steps in reply #12 will work for me on a hboot 1.4 unlocked EVO3D and I'll still be at hboot 1.4, right or wrong? Thanks!

7. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    That user wanted to keep the settings of her stock ROM. You can just flash the newest (official) firmware and then update the ROM if you just want to wipe everything and start with a clean slate.

8. wha2do

wha2do Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Sorry if asking too much, but still a bit curious about the above. DonB's response mentions it possibly being a "walk around" and clarified I was running 1.4 and not 1.5. But these steps were originally written for another user with hboot 1.4. Maybe reading wrong, but were your "Correct" responses based on thinking I had 1.5 or 1.4? And DonB thought this was possibly a new method for 1.4 or is he wondering if it would also work for 1.5?

More importantly, I too would rather not start with a clean slate but have it function as a normal OTA stock update. Not sure I understand the reason for doing the nandroid restore (after firmware update and before clearing the DALVIK and cache partitions and then flashing the Stock 2.17.651.5 ROM). Wouldn't this just put me exactly back to where I was after flashing freeza's AIO firmware update? Or does it make flashing the Stock 2.17.651.5 ROM act as an update vs a brand new fresh ROM (I don't see any step that would reset/clear everything first)? I was going to test on my own, but though best to ask first and understand fully (though taking more of your time & efforts)! Of course having my current nandroid should allow me to revert back easily in case of troubles...

Lastly, any concerns about doing the latest firmware update? Would seem I want this installed in any case since 1.13 is rather "dated" and this version has been out long enough to prove to be stable...

Thanks and sorry if slow or too many questions - and have continued reading as much as I can before asking!

9. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    No, NANDroids do not restore firmware changes. Only flashing another radio/firmware will do that. She also was running another ROM, but wanted to keep a stock ROM as a backup. So that's why I had her restoring and backing up in weird spots. Your process will be slightly different. So, if you're on the stock ROM right now:

Flash freeza AIO.

Backup your ROM.

Clear dalvik and cache partitions.

Flash updated stock ROM.

Reboot. Give 5-10 minutes for the first boot as you cleared the cache partition.

10. wha2do

wha2do Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Makes sense (lol, no pun intended) now. Yep, I understand from an earlier reply that the firmware is separate from the partitions backed up in the nandroid. I was meaning if I did a nandroid restore, I'd be at the same spot with application, data, etc as I was before starting (but yes, my firmware would be updated)... Had half a notion the other person was working with other ROM's but wasn't positive!

Thanks so much for the patience on my questions and have a much better understanding!

jerofld likes this.
  11. wha2do

wha2do Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    One last thing (honest - at least until I move onto something new, lol). If I follow the steps you listed in your last post and flash the HTC stock 2.17.651.5 firmware & ROM, I'll have all my user apps, user data, settings, etc intact just as if I did the OTA update.

The clean slate would only occur if I chose to flash a non-stock/custom ROM (ie MeanROM, etc), right?

Suppose I did want a clean slate (stock) after updating the 2.17.651.5 firmware and odex'd 2.17.651.5 ROM. To do this, would I just add one additional step at the end of yours - Do a factory reset and then manually restore my user apps, data, etc. Or is there different/better method?

As always maybe being too detailed, but have learned it's best to ask! Yes, maybe should just test it myself and if necessary, restore back via nandroid but...

12. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    No, clean slate only happens if you factory reset/wipe data partition, or the ROM dev includes a line in their flashing script to delete data. The stock ROM doesn't have that, and only a few ROMs do actually have the wipe data partition command in their flashing scripts.

Although it is highly recommended to wipe data as flashing new ROMs over old data can cause problems.

wha2do likes this.
  13. wha2do

wha2do Newbie
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Great, got the final confirmation/clarification and good to go. Will move ahead this weekend with updating with confidence!

I may consider trying clean slate to start fresh and clear off any old remnants/leftovers. Seems like restoring user apps, etc to be a bit involved or at least tedious, but will find that out on my own. I can always restore a newly made nandroid and be back to my current state (right after updating to 2.17.651.5 stock ROM). And before all, going to buy Pro key for Titanium Backup to either ease everything or at least have its full functionality for later.

Again a big thanks!!

14. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Restoring user apps isn't nearly as tedious as it seems. Titanium Backup / MyBackup Pro are awesome tools for quickly restoring all those apps.

Tags: