1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Root [CDMA] [GUIDE] HTC Unlock for Hboot 1.50 + Root + TWRP Recovery (bad info)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DonB, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™
    Moderator Thread Starter

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course

Advertisement

chrisedwards12 likes this.
  2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    There's an extraneous step in that guide. You don't need to adb the recovery .img file onto the sdcard if you're going to use fastboot to flash it. The file should be on the PC for fastboot.

So according to this guide, the HTC unlock method prevents you from flashing custom kernels. Is this true? Or is it that there are no custom kernels out that is compatible with the new OTA? Not being able to flash a kernel (aka can't write to /boot) is totally different than not having a working kernel to flash... HTC hasn't released the source code to the new kernel yet, which is why existing custom kernels won't work with the OTA.

So.... I'm wondering if it's been verified that /boot is still locked, or if this guy is just a noob.

3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™
    Moderator Thread Starter

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    Not sure but as he mentioned, he simply tried to accumulate all the info and put it in one place, I did not verify it as I am not on HBoot 1.50, so I figured I would post it here if it was helpful to to others. ;)

FYI can't wait for HTC to release the source of the Kernels

4. scrosler

scrosler Android Enthusiast
    None

Your suspicions are correct. Hes a newb that knows little.

You can indeed flash any kernel you want... But that doesn't auto-magically make it work with an incompatible source. lol

Yeah, 2.3.3 Kernels dont work with 2.3.4 base. But its much easier to blame it on the hboot (WHICH HAS NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH KERNELS!!!!!!) lol

Also, that post there is more than one extraneous step... How about all of them?

Easiset way, copy twrp into PG86IMG.zip, use PC to copy both files to root of zip. Reboot phone into hboot and let it auotmatically flash the recovery when done, reboot into recovery and flash SU.

Six to one or half dozen to another... But if I am writing a guide I am going to write one that doesn't require downloading a ton of files that you will only need once. Thats just me....

novox77 likes this.
  5. scrosler

scrosler Android Enthusiast
    None

You have no idea how bad I wont this.

I normally stick with base ROMS but now I plan on learning kernel editing! I cant wait for this!!!!!

DonB likes this.
  6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    Since this so-called guide is pretty bad, along with providing info that's just flat-out wrong, I'm going to let this thread die.

wake69 likes this.
Tags: