1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [CDMA] Help please?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by XxGamblexX, Aug 14, 2011.

1. XxGamblexX

XxGamblexX Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    im new to this whole root. evo 3d. was first phone i ever rooted. i used revolutionary. and i got super user. is there anything else to it? or is this it? what is a custom rom like viper? i keep hearing it. but i have no clue what it is or what it does.

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Welcome to the forums!

Wow - already rooted by the time of your first post - impressive! :)

Please make sure that you have a recovery installed too - either Clockwork Mod or TWRP. That lets you make a complete backup of your phone, an exact image of what you have now. We call that a nandroid backup. Always make one before modifying things, so you can recover to your previous working setup if you ever need to - hence the name for the software, recovery.

A custom rom replaces the software that comes with your phone. Sometimes the dev will just remove some bloatware, some will remove Sense to create a sleeker layout.

Here's the complete list of custom roms, with descriptions, for the Sprint version of the 3D -

[Complete LIST] Guides | Roms | Rooting | Recovery | Radio's -- Updated 8.11.11 - xda-developers

Your best bet is to get your roms from there and to get your questions answered here - our deal is that we're a bit more patient with each other's questions here.

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    PS - Probably the next thing you want after recovery and a nandroid is to get Titanium Backup. The free version will get you started, and the paid version does more.

With that, you can make your backups of your apps, app data and other configuration stuff.

The gang here can be trusted to give you great advice on backup strategies as well as using various roms.

4. XxGamblexX

XxGamblexX Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    i have teamwin recovery. im doin a backup as i type. i hit back up system partition. is this correct? or do u recommend using the other recovery thing. like i said im new to this. im savvy with computers. and game consoles. but this is my first phone besides the iphone.(i dont count the iphone its a joke to unlock and jailbreak lol)

my steps. boot into teamwin recovery.
    run partition backup under nandroid.

what now? lol

5. XxGamblexX

XxGamblexX Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    i actually already have titanium backup. pro version.

6. XxGamblexX

XxGamblexX Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    well i got viperrom rc1.2.1 downloaded. and i got it on my sd card. im in recovery with twrp recovery. and im about to hit install zip. is that it?

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Talk about doing your homework - way to go!

I recommend making a nandroid after this one of your entire phone, copy it to your PC, and then you can delete that one from your SD card after you're comfortable with the whole process. Typically you'll just be replacing /system and /data when you flash other roms.

With Titanium, make a backup of all user apps and data and all of the Sense goodies that matter - especially your browser, mail and sms data. To be perfectly honest, I usually screw up that last part myself, so SMS Backup or MyBackup Root, free in the Market, saves me there.

Next - use Titanium to freeze bloatware - Spiderman, that game controller thing at the top of the app drawer - any of the junk you won't be using.

Myself, I'm running the stock rom, with some bloatware frozen and the kernel from netarchy - I overclock from time to time, and I have working full copy of Ubuntu 9.1 (Linux) that I run side by side with Android. But that's me. :)

Once you have a good baseline of backups, you're ready to play around with any customizations or roms that sound interesting to you.

morasta likes this.
  8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Once you have your backups, yep, that's it.

There's a thread just below this one a little ways that discusses when, what and how to wipe and clean to ensure good performance free your new rom.

9. XxGamblexX

XxGamblexX Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    i got it all done lol. i got anxious and went with how i thought it should be done and it was done. lol except i didnt delete everything before install of viper rom. i just went straight to it. ill prolly redo it later if i run in problems. im excited. =]

EarlyMon likes this.
  10. Twitchh

Twitchh Newbie
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    EarlyMon likes this.
  11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I thought I read in one of the threads here that 1.2 was faster than 1.3 - something like that?

Do you like 1.3 better? (I'm ever curious)

12. Twitchh

Twitchh Newbie
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Personal opinion, it seems faster to me. I noticed the improvement between 1.2.1 and 1.3.

EarlyMon likes this.
Tags: