• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] How to revert to Gingerbread from ICS?

Thank you so much for letting me know this can be done! I spent a fruitless hour with HTC (again!) today with the CSR yelling at me and telling me it was impossible to go back to Gingerbread because my phone would no longer be compatible with something called "radios" now that I've (unwittingly, unhappily and pretty much nonconsentually) accepting the ICS downgrade.

Please, can you tell me how I can revert back to Gingerbread (which I was totally happy with and that worked perfectly) on my phone, which is an HTC Evo 3D? My phone is completely worthless for anything, even after trying to apply all of HTC's and Sprint's suggested fixes. Most of those fixes either did nothing (best case) or made things worse while not fixing anything. The only other suggestions they have entail me incurring more monetary expenses and/or being without my phone (which I pretty much am anyway now) for weeks.

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me!

Unfortunately I am on my phone right now and not my computer. I am probably the wrong person to be answering your questions but I agree you need to be rooted. You can pretty painlessly root using jerofld's guide here :
http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...shing-evo-3d-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Honestly I did it with no prior knowledge.
After following this whole guide you will need to relock your bootloader. Sorry I don't have a link right now for instructions. Then download this file
Shipped ROMs

And run on your pc.

Follow these steps http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...ause-i-am-very-new-rooting-2.html#post4862361

Then flash the stock gingerbread rom Dev-Host - Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service http://d01.megashares.com/dl/srTe15g...651.5_odex.zip

Sorry if the links don't work. I am on my phone. Also please don't take my advice as a sure thing. I am new to rooting but from what I've learned so far this is my best advice for what should work. You should probably wait for a mod to verify this info. I may have messed up as its difficult to put a guide together on your phone. I just saw you didn't have replies so I offered what I could to contribute to the Site. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any questions

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I am on my phone right now and not my computer. I am probably the wrong person to be answering your questions but I agree you need to be rooted. You can pretty painlessly root using jerofld's guide here :
http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...shing-evo-3d-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Honestly I did it with no prior knowledge.
After following this whole guide you will need to relock your bootloader. Sorry I don't have a link right now for instructions. Then download this file
Shipped ROMs

And run on your pc.

Follow these steps http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...ause-i-am-very-new-rooting-2.html#post4862361

Then flash the stock gingerbread rom Dev-Host - Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service http://d01.megashares.com/dl/srTe15g...651.5_odex.zip

Sorry if the links don't work. I am on my phone. Also please don't take my advice as a sure thing. I am new to rooting but from what I've learned so far this is my best advice for what should work. You should probably wait for a mod to verify this info. I may have messed up as its difficult to put a guide together on your phone. I just saw you didn't have replies so I offered what I could to contribute to the Site. Good luck and feel free to ask if you have any questions

excellent job! only thing i have to add,is that you will need to complete the optional step for s-off. unfortunately,this is a requirement if you wish to "roll back" your firmware to gingerbread. just completing the steps to htcdev unlock will let you root,and even flash roms,but the s-on phone will not let you go backwards in software build numbers,and simplyh flashing a custom rom on htcdev unlock,will not work,for the same reasons that james' ics roms werent working with his GB firmware,but in reverse. GB and ICS firmwares are not interchangeable,and unless a GB rom is specially modified to run on ics firmware,it will not work.

thus,s-off will be a requirement to achieve your end goal of going back to GB.

Reactions: DonB and Brian706
Upvote 0
Thank you so much for letting me know this can be done! I spent a fruitless hour with HTC (again!) today with the CSR yelling at me and telling me it was impossible to go back to Gingerbread because my phone would no longer be compatible with something called "radios" now that I've (unwittingly, unhappily and pretty much nonconsentually) accepting the ICS downgrade.

Please, can you tell me how I can revert back to Gingerbread (which I was totally happy with and that worked perfectly) on my phone, which is an HTC Evo 3D? My phone is completely worthless for anything, even after trying to apply all of HTC's and Sprint's suggested fixes. Most of those fixes either did nothing (best case) or made things worse while not fixing anything. The only other suggestions they have entail me incurring more monetary expenses and/or being without my phone (which I pretty much am anyway now) for weeks.

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me!

So can this be done? I'm trying to help a friend revert back to gingerbread... Is there a write up on this?

Upvote 0
I assume that you are pretty familiar with rooting? I can put together a quick bare bones tutorial later tonight or tomorrow maybe if needed.
If you don't mind a little extra reading and skimming I will link you to help now.

Use this: http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...shing-evo-3d-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Follow the optional step to get s-off.

(I don't think it's necessary to flash the rom in the tutorial. You just need s-off to run the GB ruu posted above. Make sure you download gb 2.17 ruu and not ics)

Then everything else you need to downgrade is in this thread: http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...installing-because-i-am-very-new-rooting.html

Like I said there is more info than you need in there. Don't be misled by the thread title. It eventually gets to the downgrade. I asked a lot of questions in there and DonB and Scotty85 provided a lot of detailed answers. It is a very useful thread in general especially for anyone new to rooting.

So can this be done? I'm trying to help a friend revert back to gingerbread... Is there a write up on this?

Upvote 0
He has hboot 1.58..to be clear he needs to be rooted first? I didn't know it was possible to root this hboot

Oh that's a good point. I'm not sure if this will work on 1.58. I was already s-off from 1.5 before the downgrade.

Can't he still htc dev unlock? Then it's the wire trick. Or does the control bear software only work with 1.5?
If I have time I'll check. Going to a family thing soon for awhile and will be disconnected.

Upvote 0
Oh that's a good point. I'm not sure if this will work on 1.58. I was already s-off from 1.5 before the downgrade.

Can't he still htc dev unlock? Then it's the wire trick. Or does the control bear software only work with 1.5?
If I have time I'll check. Going to a family thing soon for awhile and will be disconnected.

Thank you. Take your time ;)

Upvote 0
Unlimited.IO

Supported Devices

JuopunutBear currently supports the following Android phones running GingerBread and Ice Cream Sandwich (where released/leaked):

HTC Amaze (ruby)

HTC Vivid/Raider/Velocity (holiday)

HTC Rezound (vigor)

HTC Sensation (pyramid)

HTC myTouch 4G Slide (doubleshot)

HTC EVO 3D cdma (shooter)

HTC EVO 3D GSM (shooteru)

JuopunutBear will permanently unlock NAND flash write protection on all supported devices.

They say for Gb and Ics...

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Yep best to ask, there is always someone there to answer, they are pretty good from what I am told.

Also might be those who are flashed to ICS Roms on HBoot 1.5, why it is best to ask

It says they support ics. But to be safe I also posted a link to their help chat. That might be a good place to verify.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Hey 3vodroid and DonB! I just verified on the irc channel and they said it works! You should be good to go! I almost want to go stock just to try this myself lol

Wow awesome guys thanks! After my buddy saw my evo 4G lte rooted he really wanted to root his 3vo ( which is actually my old 3vo I sold to him) but then we realized he took the update. Thanks a bunch I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow and post results :thumbup:

Reactions: scotty85 and DonB
Upvote 0
Wow awesome guys thanks! After my buddy saw my evo 4G lte rooted he really wanted to root his 3vo ( which is actually my old 3vo I sold to him) but then we realized he took the update. Thanks a bunch I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow and post results :thumbup:

No problem can't wait to see your results. I'm happy to repay the favor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones