1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[CDMA] HTC EVO 3D Not ringing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dmoneyxxxx, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

I own a HTC EVO 3D that is Flashed to Boost Mobile and is rooted, also have another boost number that I forward to my EVO... This is my problem, and it has started to get worse. Sometimes when someone calls either number, the phone rings like 3 or 4 times then goes to voicemail, and on my end my EVO doesnt even ring!! Then like whenever I might wake up my phone, a whole bunch of voicemails come through, I mean this is ridiculous, I don't understand why when my phones is awake it rings, but if it is asleep it wont. To get into a little more specifics, this never happened before I sent it to a phone shop to have it rooted. I mean now I am missing a ton of calls and it is interfering with my money. Oh yeah to add to the conundrum when I turn my wifi off and leave it on the 3g network, it does it less frequently. I mean I have uninstalled apps and am getting ready to sell this phone, because the amount of calls I am missing is not worth this trouble. I have no idea what ROM I am running, my last ditch effort is to send it to a good friend of mine to reflash and re-root it to one of his custom ROM's.. Could use some help!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

You're not using something like juice defender or a kernel that is set to underclock when the screen is off, are you?

3. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

I was using juice defender, I was thinking the same thing you were about it, however I uninstalled it and I am still having issues, however I do not know how to check to see if the kernel I am using is set to underclocked when asleep, would like some more info on that, please

says my kernel version is, 2.6.35.13-g84f8edd htc-kernel@and18-2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 5 01:14:20 CST 2011

4. ggrimaldi

ggrimaldi Well-Known Member

Have you tried wiping dalvik & cache?

5. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

I used titanium pro to clean up the dalvik cache, if there is another "system" cache to clean I am unaware how to do that, I am still experiencing the same issues. I mean when I call my phone from another, it rings at least 6 times, then goes to voicemail, my EVO never even rings, and even when I leave the EVO screen on the phone I call from still rings 5 times before it even rings on my EVO... that to me is strange it rings so many times from the person who is calling before it even rings my EVO

6. ggrimaldi

I always wipe from recovery, I think it is better to do it manually. You can also try to reflash the rom.

7. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

Unfortunately, I do not know how to reflash the ROM, also wiping the cache from recovery i am unaware how to do it. I am tech savvy in certain areas, and if instructions were explained and given to me I would be able to implement them, its just that this is my first rooted phone so there is alot I am still learning. Maybe I should just let my buddy reflash it and put his custom ROM on it, at least then I could ask him questions directly, because the cell phone place I had do this flash and root were shady to begin with and will not get anymore of my business.

8. jerofld

9. ggrimaldi

Well my suggestion is you do the flashing by yourself, because in the future once you have a problem, you'll know what to do. If you are not doing it by yourself, you are missing the fun part of being rooted. ;)

There are a lot of information here, all you have to do is read before doing something, and ask if you get lost..

Try to read the link above from Jerofld, I'm not a techie either, but once you get a grip, you'll know that flashing is not that difficult.:)

10. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

Thank you for the input, and I am proud to say I actually flashed my phone the other day, this is what happened... Everything was fine and all my calls were going through, then Today it started to do the same thing again, however I am some of my calls, and some are just not ringing through. So the only thing I can think of is maybe my CPU is under clocked.... But I am unclear on the relationship between that and my phone not ringing all the time... So my question is.... Is there any articles that let me know what the clocked CPU speeds should be? I am sure that I need SetCPU from the app market, but past that I am stumped... And your right flashing my phone was fun...

11. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

Well, just as side note, after doing further research on overclocking apps, Its seems that the apps on the market are for single core cpu's, and I have read alot of negative feedback on them even working with dual cores.. So any suggestions on which app to use for the EVO 3D and what settings I should use.

12. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

Okay, Jerofld I have read ALOT of your other postings and links to kernels, ROM's and everything in between... Very overwhelming and I have a slightly better understanding of my phone, so this is where I am at. After the reflashing and factory reset/wipe I have been very selective and only installed the basic Apps I need, no more LauncherPRO Plus home :( but the HTC Sense UI is growing on me, After essentially dumbing down my phone it has only had one "glitch" of not ringing and that was when it was in "sleep" mode for a long period of time... So now I am beginning to think it is the Kernel or the ROM or both, maybe one not compatible with the other, or it could be that I have overlooked some simple setting, I simply am not knowledgeable enough to know what I am overlooking (hence my love of this forum) So now I think my best bet is to give you guys my kernel and ROM versions, and ask you for input on which NEW kernel and ROM I can install that are compatible with each other and would serve my purpose as a hardcore daily user with multiple emails pushed to phone. This seems the simplest fix for me at this junction. ROM STOCK_EVO_3D_2_08.651.2_Deodexed_rooted-signed.zip Kernel version 2.6.35.13-g84f8edd htc-kernel@and18-2 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Aug 5 01:14:20 CST 2011

Also the method I used to flash my EVO to Boost was with a program called QPST and cdma workshop. Thank you for all your help with my problem and one more little clue. On my SD card I had alot of info from my phone prior to it being rooted, and I noticed when I flashed it I had the SD card removed and everything worked fine, but when I put my SD card in that's when it stopped ringing, so I just erased and reformatted my SD card and have only had that one glitch since, I have no idea what that was about. Again thanks

13. ggrimaldi

Reading your last post, I assume that your problem maybe related to your sd card, or something inside the sd card. I'm not sure, maybe someone below me have another opinion. By the way, have you tried another sd card?

If you ask me about ROM, I always use MikRunny as my daily ROM. It's pretty smooth, and it has Anthrax kernel build in. You can find it here

As for overclock/underclock, I think it is phone specific. What works for me may not work for you. The best way to find out is to try it. If your phone is acting weird, then you should try another setting.

14. jerofld

This helps, but I need more info:

Are you S-ON Unlocked through HTC's method, or S-OFF? You can check via your bootloader. If you don't remember, you can check by turning your phone all the way off (uncheck fast boot in Settings > Power or yank the battery out) then hold Vol down + Power. At the top, it'll say HBOOT, 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5, and S-ON or S-OFF. If it's 1.5 and S-ON, it'll also say UNLOCKED or LOCKED above the HBOOT stuff. I need to know if you're on 1.3/1.4 and S-OFF or 1.5 and S-ON Unlocked.

If you're S-OFF, did you flash the most recent firmware? If you don't know, it's no biggie, I just want to try to eliminate steps.

Ah, very good. You did your own flashing with QPST. :) Would you be comfortable doing it again, if need be? If you didn't flash the most recent firmware, I think that would help you. But I don't know if your boost settings will still be there after you flash new radios and firmware.

The SD card may have been contributing to your problems, but I think your issues can be resolved by updating to the newest builds of firmware.

15. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

Okay, this is what info I found. It says Unlocked shooter xc ship S-ON RL Hboot 1.5.0000 eMMC-boot Aug. 7, 2011 10:21:40

Also I am on build number 2.08.651.2 CL130920
    Baseband version 0.97.10.0808

Also when you say to flash to the most recent firmware, how different is that from me flashing my phone to boost, also I do believe I am NOT running the most updated firmware by the lower version number I am running, I am sure I can do an OTA update, but wont that effect my root access and my flash to boost? Oh wait I just had a brainfart ....So flashing the firmware and doing OTA are accomplishing the same thing only flashing would keep my root access where as OTA would undo it?

jerofld likes this.
  16. jerofld

There is no yes/no answer to that, so I'll just explain what you need to do:

Download the 2.17.651.5 RUU (It's in the ATR sticky...I suggest you use the mirror, it's a better server).

Relock your bootloader (fastboot oem lock)

Run the RUU. It'll upgrade you, but wipe out everything you have, so make sure you do a backup with titanium now)

After RUU is complete, re-unlock your bootloader (fastboot oem unlock - this might work, if not, use the unlock_code.bin)

Flash a ROM (Stock rooted ROM is provided in my guide, or use any ROM that is 2.17.651.5 compatible)

And, if your boost settings held, you should be good to restore your backups from Titanium.

Dmoneyxxxx likes this.
  17. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

Okay I have downloaded RUU_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_Radio_1.06.00.1216_NV_NV_spcs_1.42_release_233304_signed.exe

I also downloaded Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_2.17.651.5_odex.zip (question, is this a ROM/Kernel in one?)

But Ihave a few issues. I have only flashed my phone to Boost. I Did not root it and I have never flashed a ROM. But after reading your Newbie post (over and over again) I sort of realize what I need but because I did not root/flash ROM, I do not know if I have TWRP installed (but I did D/L the recovery.img) also do not have/know my boot unlocker code because I did not do that process. Now your last post I am sure I can do, except if I cannot re-unlock my bootloader i do not know how to do it with the unlock_code.bin. Also the RUU is an executable, so i just copy that to my SD card and run it using Root Explorer? Also in your guide, you say to run a nand backup, now I have run a titanium, but is there a backup I do when my phone is in bootloader mode? Jerofld, I know I have alot of questions but I must express to you that I really DO APPRECIATE your help, I mean really if I had someone physically walk me through the whole process, I would pick it up quickly, but because I am piecing things together its driving me crazy, so again thanks for all your help with this. and if you could give me a teenie bit more detail, basically when to do operations from the phone and when to plug it in to my comp. also when should I check the debugging box and when to uncheck it, because it seemed to matter when i flashed it to boost. Oh and congrats on your promotion from guide to Moderator.. You deserve it.

18. jerofld

If you downloaded that from my newbie guide, then yes, it's kernel + ROM. If you got it from the TrevE post, then no.

You say later in your post that you have titanium, so you must have a custom recovery if you're rooted and have superuser installed. Installing TWRP is no big deal, but there won't be any point because you'll need to run the RUU to upgrade your firmware, anyhow. The RUU will reinstall the stock recovery.

Someone must have, if you're on Unlocked S-ON HBOOT 1.5. I would recommend you log into HTC dev (HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader) and see if you can get the code again. If you can't get your unlock code, that's going to present a problem.

Yeah, we're going to need that unlock_code.bin. Or do the semi-risky 1.40 downgrade procedure, which I would really like to avoid.

No, Android can't run EXE files. You have to connect your USB to a Windows computer (or a computer with a Windows emulator).

Bootloader? No. But inside the bootloader you get an option to go to recovery. If you have a custom recovery (ClockworkMod, TWRP, etc), then you can make a backup. Making a backup in recovery is also called a NANDroid backup.

No problem. It's what I do here. :D

I leave USB Debugging on all the time. Titanium requires it, and it's always good to be able to plug the phone in and send ADB commands when necessary.

Thank you! It certainly has been a busy week. Both outside the forums and inside :p

DonB and Dmoneyxxxx like this.
  19. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

Also, I was able to get my unlock_code.bin I was excited to be able to use the information you provided to be able to do it on my own. I was nervous at first but it went flawless. So I think that the firmware and radio upgrade coupled with the new ROM/Kernel flash should go well.

jerofld and DonB like this.
  20. jerofld

It really isn't that hard to do. :) It, like everything root related, just needs some patience on your part. It's not a race.

Dmoneyxxxx likes this.
  21. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

Jerofld thanks again for all your help with this issue, after all the hard work, patience and time you devoted to helping me out with my phone issue I can officially say it is resolved. everything has been working great and that new ROM you recommended is stable and working perfectly. Again thank you very much. I love having my 3VO back!!

jerofld likes this.
  22. jerofld

Did you see that ZR3D updated either Sunday night or Monday sometime? I saw that and laughed.

Dmoneyxxxx likes this.
  23. Dmoneyxxxx

Dmoneyxxxx Newbie

I did notice that and thought it was funny too!

HTC EVO 3D Forum

The HTC EVO 3D release date was July 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1730mAh battery.

July 2011
Release Date
Reviews