1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [CDMA] HTC Root vs. Community Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmadero, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jmadero

jmadero Member
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi All,

Thinking about rooting my HTC Evo 3D and want to know the best way to do it. I've read that HTC has put out their own root kit that will root it but watermarks the phone, also have read a few forums that have a somewhat difficult community root process. What's the best way to go about it and approximately how long will it take? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. wake69

wake69 Android Expert
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Security Engineer
    Georgia
    if you are current on your updates, hboot 1.5 you are stuck with the htc unlock. and that takes between 30 mins and hours which id dependent upon how much you read, follow instructions and are familiar with the command prompt

also this ? should be in the root section

3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    It does mark that it is "unlocked" in the bootloader, but there is no e-fuse or whatever that causes a physical change in the device. Besides, you have to submit your unit's serial number to HTC before they give you the unlock key, anyways. They even have a waiver where you have to acknowledge that you are voiding either part or all of your warranty.

But yes, if you're current on your OTAs, you can only do the HTC method.

4. jmadero

jmadero Member
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Sorry for misplacing the post, only my second post to the forums

Where can I get the unlock code, I'm willing to root it through HTC and have it watermarked

5. wake69

wake69 Android Expert
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Security Engineer
    Georgia
  6. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    If you haven't accepted the 2.3.4 OTA update on your phone use revolutionary and root it yourself. It's easier, reversible, and guarateed compatible with everything that's being released. The htc root seems hit and miss and can't be undone.

7. thelonewizard

thelonewizard Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Student
    Indiana
    ^This. Not only that, but the root community really tries to help out everyone because they care. There's all sorts of benefits to rooting with revolutionary as it is, and ovrrdrive said, reversible. If you want to sell the phone, don't root with the HTC method. However, I have been following rooting things since the EVO 4G came out and I have seen the benefits of rooting it through the ROM/Dev community. Because of that community, people are still developing for EVO 4G, and probably will continue to for months to come. With revolutionary, you're guaranteed full s-off access to your phone, and can mangle the crap out of it if you desire. the HTC method has some stuff still locked.

Tags: