• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] HTCDev bootloader has no effect

Devlah

Lurker
Nov 11, 2014
Ok, here's my phone info:
HTC EVO 3D (Sprint)
Model:pG86100

Image version: 2.95.651.6

*** LOCKED ***
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.58.0000
eMMC-boot
May 17 2012,15:06:44

The story:

I decided I wanted to try my hand at rooting this phone, so naturally I followed the directions indicated on many forums/sites as to how to proceed.

The biggest hangup however seems to happen AFTER I've gotten my Unlock_code.bin file and issue the command to flash it:

It goes through the motions and states that the operation was "Successful" in the DOS Box, however, the screen on the phone continues to indicate "*** LOCKED ***"

I've seen this problem mentioned in a couple places and the suggestion invariably leads to "Update the RUU". Well, the RUU from HTCDev is a DOWNGRADE to what I have now, and the program gives an error when attempting to use it. The FASTBOOT screen indicates that it's connecting via USB just fine, and I've been able to do file transfers, etc. with no difficulty.

Of course I followed the instructions to the letter, but this problem isn't covered anywhere that I've looked.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, I've moved your thread into the CDMA section since you have the CDMA version. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do. :( The only way to get the ruu to run in your case requires an unlocked boot loader so it's kind of a catch 22. I wish I had better news for you.

The only small possibility I'm considering is that you never mentioned whether or not the unlock prompt shows up on the device. If you somehow overlooked the prompt that shows up on the device, maybe there's still a tiny hope. I believe you have to hit volume up on the device to confirm the unlock.

Hope this is the case but unfortunately you may very well be stuck with a device that cannot be unlocked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones