1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [CDMA] Htcdev.com trying to unlock phone for root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blwnv8, May 8, 2012.

1. blwnv8

blwnv8 Newbie
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    I'm using the htc unlocker and I've made it towards the end of the process. Had a few little hiccups along the way, nothing major or frustrating. Just a little learning. I am however stuck at the part where you are trying to get the code out of your phone. It says waiting for device and then doesn't go anywhere from there. But i'm not getting any errors. My phone is in fastboot usb so I know it's connected at least. I tried googling and youtube with no answers. My phone is a evo 3d with the 1.50 hboot. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Did you install HTC Sync?

3. blwnv8

blwnv8 Newbie
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Nope. Sure didn't. I had it on the computer a while ago. Guess I must have deleted it. I know somewhere in my reading you had to make sure htc sync wasn't installed. I'm going to go give that a try. Thanks.

4. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    You need the drivers that are installed with HTC Sync more than the program Sync. You can uninstall the actual sync program after you install both it and the drivers, if you wish. But ADB and fastboot won't work if your computer doesn't have drivers installed.

And Sync can't be installed for Revolutionary, which is for HBOOT 1.3 and 1.4, not 1.5 - which is what you use HTC Dev for.

5. blwnv8

blwnv8 Newbie
    None

Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks jarofld. That worked almost immediately. I wasted some time trying to get my phone to register with htc sync but it never did. Tried a few fixes I found but nothing seemed to fix it. I said screw it and tried the unlock again. It went smooth and fast. I did find you have to move any necessary files to say the root of the android file on your pc. Say c:\android or whatever you make it. Htcdev.com instructions were kinda poor and didn't post clear instructions. I knew everything you need on the phone goes to the root of the sd card. I'm lucky I've got a pretty good background in computers. I'd guess people that aren't so computer savy would never get it right. Doing a how to write up is pointless if your not going to include vitale info like that. Someone should make this info a sticky.

Now the question is do I want to downgrade my hboot to 1.40 or just root on 1.50? I know 1.50 won't get me s-off though. Is it that important. I saw somewhere in one roof guide that it looked like he was saying with 1.50 you have to flash roms with your pc not on the phone itself like most people do it.

6. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    The HTC Dev instructions do suck, that's why I wrote my own: http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...ms-kernels-using-fastboot-updated-4-29-a.html

If you want to downgrade, that is completely up to you. I have no spiffy guides on how to do it, as I've always been on 1.4. But it's apparently straightforward, especially if you use the live CD. [TOOL] HBOOT Downgrade Toolkit Live CD - Free Your Phone. S-OFF. - xda-developers

But if you don't care to do that, you can just install 4EXT recovery. 4EXTRecovery - it makes it so Hboot 1.5 users don't need fastboot to flash kernels. Either way works well.

Tags: