• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Legacy root posts from sticky prior to S-OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
It's not uncommon to find small packages that provide just the minimal adb components to help with rooting - that does tend to make it considerably less painful.

Couple that with simple copy/paste-this-to-adb instructions and it's not so bad.

adb is your friend. ;)

If anything, I think I'll just wait for fre3dom or the unlock from HTC.

Upvote 0
I moved the Fre3vo thread here since it's looking like agrabren is starting to put his efforts behind the S-OFF effort. Sounds like he put aside Fre3vo^2 since it wasn't going as well as he hoped. Here's what he says:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Root: shaking something loose [WIP]

To share one other piece of information...

Since I've met my disclosure requirement to HTC.

Fre3vo works by accessing the msm_rotator object, and requesting to do a 0-degree rotation from fb0 to fb0. This isn't a problem. The problem is, they allow you to specify a completely arbitrary, un-boundary checked offset into the frame buffer. So if you blit from around 0x3DBC0000 to 0x3FFFFFFF, you'll find the ro.protect value which allows is how we mimic psneuter. For the HTC Sensation, it's 0x2D000000 that you start from.

For someone with more time than I have, this exploit could be changed to elevate itself instead of making adb shell happen. The problem is, a shell account or greater is needed to access msm_rotator. If another exploit were found which got you a process in the graphics group, you could elevate yourself to root and remount /data to support suid.

Fre3vo^2 is really just based on mapping around /system. The reason the files are "vanishing" or getting stuck is because they're being purged by the OS to make room in RAM. Unfortunately, because the /system partition in write-protected by the eMMC, the write never completes, and the data is lost. When the OS tries to get it back, it gets confused and fails with the stuck file handles in memory. So I created a tmpfs and over-mounted on /system, and transferred all the goods to /data/fre3vo/system/... and used symlinking. It didn't work all that well, and I decided to spend my time focusing on S-OFF.

Currently, I'm trying to glitch the clocks on the eMMC to see if I can trigger a hard reset of the chip. We only need write access for exactly one page. I already have code which can talk directly to the eMMC, read a block, write a block, check the wrote protection states (They're all marked power-on write protect in the region we care about).

Thanks,
Kevin
The other major takeaway from his post is that he's disclosed to HTC how his exploit worked. So the next OTA from HTC will likely close this hole. Now would be a good time to stop taking OTA updates. Remember, whatever glorious fixes are in this OTA can be had later once the phone is rooted, so if you want to root, there's little reason to set your phone back by accepting the OTA now. Be patient :)

Reactions: EarlyMon and wake69
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
[TOOL] Easy Fre3vo - xda-developers

This is a one click tool from the boys over on the other site.
VERY VERY EASY - Requires a computer but no ADB -

This gets you SU - confirm with TE.

Wireless Tether App Fails....BUT Barnacle Works.

***EARLYMON*** Just read your note on not being comfortable with this temp root.
If you feel like you need to take down this post...please do so.
I won't be hurt!

Reactions: kiddk1
Upvote 0
Not my place to censor information - but I did move it into the existing rooting sticky where other fre3vo info is found.

And - for proof of why I recommend against this at present - note here how my stock quadrant (hate the free version, but apples are apples) beats the temp-rooted overclocked 3vo using this root method:

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/370988-evo-3d-overclocked-1-7-ghz.html

So long as people know and are willing to deal with a root effort in progress, cool.

It's not for me.

Reactions: MahaloCat
Upvote 0

***EARLYMON*** Just read your note on not being comfortable with this temp root.
I won't be hurt!

I like this one better
<[SCRIPT]> update 7/7 Fre3vo Root, Su, Busybox all in one - Windows/Linux/Mac v2.2 - xda-developers
followed by a script that will allow su to verify all apps and get every root app working until reboot. Set CPU seems to be a little funny with it but other than that everything works

Upvote 0

I won't be hurt!
Actually thought this was different until i read the thread. very interesting, i will try when i get home. says it keeps su sticky

Upvote 0
wiki sums it up nicely:

Operating system shells generally fall into one of two categories: command-line and graphical. Command-line shells provide a command-line interface (CLI) to the operating system, while graphical shells provide a graphical user interface (GUI). In either category the primary purpose of the shell is to invoke or "launch" another program; however, shells frequently have additional capabilities such as viewing the contents of directories.

In Windows, if you call cmd.exe, you'll get a DOS prompt. That's your shell via a command-line interface (CLI). Windows explorer is your GUI-based shell.

With our Android phones, adb can give us a basic CLI shell to access the linux filesystem. The available shell commands are more or less the same as those on any unix-like system. Assuming you have adb up and running, all you do is type in "adb shell" and you'll be presented with a linux prompt.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Bahh... I can't root... I don't know what a shell is... *sigh* lol

Not an issue. Proper root guides will be built with appropriate instructions, such as:

Copy and paste this into your DOS Window,

Code:
adb shell
And so forth. Many Evo new rooters used toast's Linux root, as expressed by TheBiles as a series of copy/paste code blocks and screenshots.

Here, I show complete noobs how to get a custom rom on a Hauwei Ascend with a few simple copy/pastes from a Mac - http://androidforums.com/ascend-all...nstall-icarus-1-1-isaacj87-7.html#post2413977

And - if all else fails and you're a Windows user, just hold off until someone makes a nice .bat file or a little GUI that keeps the hard stuff out of the way.

~~~~~~

And - because I think it matters, I'm copying this here:
Found it.

It's pretty simple what they're doing here - they're mapping parts of /system to a ramdisk under /data.

Reboot - lose the ramdisk.

(How many people remember ramdisks?)

~~~~~~

Someone hasn't been doing their homework. Read up on ADB. it's not as complicated as people make it seem even for us laymen

In other words:

[Newbie Guide] adb/fastboot/bootloader/android 101 - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones