1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Root [CDMA] Locked Boot Loader...Will you still get it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RoboMonkey, May 24, 2011.

1. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010

Advertisement

2. lbhocky19

lbhocky19 Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    nope. they turned their back on the community, screw them unless they release the unlock code

sergi0wned likes this.
  3. Plattypus

Plattypus Newbie
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Damn, it's encrypted? Super sadface. :(

I guess I'll just wait for the SGS2 to come out for Sprint. :(

4. Android 17

Android 17 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 30, 2010
    Maybe it's worded differently, but from what I read, it mentioned no encryption. If that's the case, almost every phone HTC has released has been with a locked boot loader, this is no exception.

There is a big difference between signed and encrypted, which apparently 99% of blogs don't seem to get.

Unless this is encrypted, it will and should be possible to crack it whenever a few resourceful devs get their hands on the device.

Edit: Nevermind, it does seem to be fully locked down:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...r-recovery-and-kernel-images-all-locked-down/

Very disappointing. I definitely won't be upgrading right away at least.

5. alcohol

alcohol Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I'll still buy it if we are able to gain root access.
    I can live with the htc rom.

But i won't buy it if we can't even get partial root.

Edit: HTC facebook just posted this.

Thanks so much for providing feedback, we hear your concerns. Your satisfaction is a top priority for us and we're working hard to ensure you have great experiences with our phones. We're reviewing the issue and our policy around bootloaders and will provide more information soon...

themuffinman75 and RiverOfIce like this.
  6. lbhocky19

lbhocky19 Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    it's locked just like the moto droids. it is not like the past "locked" htc devices.
    unless htc unlocks it or the code "leaks" we will not get custom roms.
    root is still possible

7. Vanquished

Vanquished Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Male
    Student
    USA
    Novox77 explains in detail what you initially stated here:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...ut-locked-bootloader-but-its-big-problem.html

But as more info has been released about it, it is definately confirmed as being locked, more so than what Motorola has been doing, as the thread above explains. Here is one of the posts found later on:

I'm still debating whether or not I'll get it. If I can remove the bloatware and overclock it to 1.5ghz (if it's not already something changed by release) I most certainly will, since Sense--especially the new 3.0--has always been a good UI.

8. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    I REALLY wanted a Sprint HTC EVO 3D. I mean, it was going to be my next handset for sure.

Now, because of this cryptographically signed bootloader crap, I am seriously thinking about other options in terms of a new handset. I am pretty annoyed at HTC for turning on the community that loves Android most, which is the developer community.

9. Android 17

None

Mar 30, 2010
    It will be nigh impossible to overclock the phone without a custom kernel, which so far, this type of locking down will not permit.

10. thelonewizard

thelonewizard Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Student
    Indiana
    I personally am not sure whether or not I will be getting this phone now. However, both HTC's facebook and twitter account have updated to say something along the lines of: "Thanks for the feedback. You guys seem mad. We'll think about stuff and get back to you." Super-paraphrased of course, but the point is that we may or may not have made a difference, and I for one would not be the lease upset if HTC/Sprint decided to delay this phone a bit to lessen the encryption/locking on this phone. Anyone with me?

sergi0wned likes this.
  11. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
  12. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    lets calm down... it might be.. the sky is falling...
    remmeber the thunderbolt??

lets wait and see.. i have faith that it will be rooted.

BenChase7 likes this.
  13. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    I agree, Im not stressing over this, sky is definitely not falling. I think you're right that this device will be rooted. I still have intension's of getting the EVO 3D, and cant wait.

themuffinman75 likes this.
  14. Evo_luv

Evo_luv Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    South Texas
    I for one will still be getting it. Considering this would be my first Android phone and I wasn't planning on rooting anyway this really has no impact on me. Although with all the people now reconsidering this may result in no shortage of phones come launch day.

15. spacemanzzzz

spacemanzzzz Newbie
    None

May 23, 2010
    Already posted to HTC's facebook page and sent an email to their product team. I encourage you all to cast your votes as well. Everyone has a voice

16. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Same here, I have no doubt that this phone will be fully rooted fairly quickly, but regardless I am getting the E3D as soon as its released.

17. lafester

lafester Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Yeah, lets not forget htc is the WORST at leaks lol. We get all the test roms, shipped roms and even lots of engineering roms apparently. Keep hope that we will get what we need to unlock the beast.

18. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast
    None

May 28, 2010
    Male
    Well, I've never rooted my current EVO so I'm not sure it's important to me. I was considering rooting the 3D, but it's no biggie to me if that's not possible...

19. Vanquished

Vanquished Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Male
    Student
    USA
    I'll just refer you to the link in my previous post once again and the quote from novox77. The thunderbolt was locked, but not encrypted (every phone is technically "locked") but the E3D is encrypted.

1) bootloader image was signed on the Evo 4G but was not encrypted. This is actually irrelevant because the original unlock was achieved by replacing the HBOOT image with a leaked HTC engineering image. So even if the Evo4G's HBOOT signature was encrypted, it wouldn't have mattered; the engineering HBOOT would be signed correctly anyway.

2) new HTC phones are cryptographically signing their images. That means you can't forge a signature without the encryption key. It's unlikely devs can brute-force this.

3) new HTC phones are now signing the /boot and /recovery images. These were never signed in the older HTC phones. Possibly /system requires a signature as well. What this means is: no custom kernel (which lives in /boot); no custom recovery (which lives in /recovery); and no custom ROM (which lives in /system).

4) Motorola did not protect/sign /recovery and /system, which meant you could still flash a custom recovery and a custom ROM without the bootloader throwing a fuss. But /boot is off limits, so any ROM for Motorola's locked-down phones will have to utilize the stock kernel.

5) So it's looking like the only way we are going to get 100% freedom is if the engineering bootloader gets leaked. I assume the Eng HBOOT will not enforce the signature of the various partitions: /boot /recovery /system, which will allow us to flash custom kernels, recoveries, and roms.

As for my OP, it would seem to be irrelevant at this point, given the new details that have emerged and assuming they are true. Unlocking this phone WILL be harder than it was with previous HTC phones. We may be at the mercy of a leak.

That said, rooting the phone in its literal meaning (granting superuser permission) should still be very doable. Most apps requiring a rooted phone will work.

20. thelonewizard

None

Jul 5, 2010
    Student
    Indiana
    I've signed the petition, posted alternative ideas on their facebook, and retweeted their tweet. I'm doing what I can to get people on the dev's side of this. Android should be open. When we root, it's not like we're jailbreaking and getting all apps for free. When we root, we're freeing ourselves from the carrier restraints and bloatware, be it Sprint Nascar stuff, anti-tethering measures, lower clock speeds, or whatever else we want to change. There's a reason Google made Android open to allow all these things that Apple can't. So, regardless, I think I will still be getting this phone.

21. Indyboy

Indyboy Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    Do you really think HTC/Sprint is going to delay a phone for a few thousand people who are upset? There are way more people without rooted EVOs than there are people with rooted EVOs. More EVOs for the rest of us who don't care.

22. thelonewizard

None

Jul 5, 2010
    Student
    Indiana
    To be honest, no. I don't think they would, but if they did, I, along with thousands of other users both here and on XDA would be very happy. Besides, they've delayed it THIS long. haha

23. Android 17

None

Mar 30, 2010
    Tell that to the Droid X owners. Unless HTC backpedals on their stance, or an engineering boot is leaked, there is little chance in hell of this phone being fully rooted, much less in a quick fashion.

24. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Call me optimistic, like I said I am not worried one bit. It will happen and it wont take that long.

25. hawkijustin

hawkijustin Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Not a chance in hell will i get this if the bootloader is locked.

We got HTC to uncap the frame cap on the Evo 4g but can we get them to unlock the bootloader? We will sure as hell try!!

Tags: