• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Need help getting S-OFF while rooted

lxbeale

Lurker
Dec 23, 2012
At the moment I am currently rooted with S-ON and have SOS-M ICS ROM running. I first relocked my 3D and tried running some RUU's to get me back to stock so I could preform the wire trick and had a ton of errors and considered it useless at that point. Then I went ahead unlocking my bootloader and tried MeanROM to try the Wire trick and kept getting the message "Connect device and Install drivers; Press enter to exit". My drivers are installed and have worked before but I will note that everything that requires cmd to either put a program or file on my 3D hasn't worked (getting the device not found message as well) in which I had to do it manually except when I unlocked my bootloader, in which case, everything went fine.

EDIT: I have gotten meanROM v.17 installed and have fixed my driver issue but now it is telling me that Secondary backup has failed. I have turned off all anti-virus but is still getting the problem I know that it says it shouldn't work with custom ROM's but as I have said, the RUU's have all given me errors and will not allow my device back to stock... What do I do

I know that it says it shouldn't work with custom ROM's but as I have said, the RUU's have all given me errors and will not allow my device back to stock... What do I do

I would verify that you were trying the right RUUs, and make sure you weren't plugged into a USB 3.0 port, and if not mistaken, I believe USB debugging needs to be set as well. J Bear is pretty explicit about using a stock ROM, and not one almost stock. Just make sure you have the correct RUU first, then work your way down. You can find them in the all things root guide. Hope it helps.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
At the moment I am currently rooted with S-ON and have SOS-M ICS ROM running. I first relocked my 3D and tried running some RUU's to get me back to stock so I could preform the wire trick and had a ton of errors and considered it useless at that point. Then I went ahead unlocking my bootloader and tried MeanROM to try the Wire trick and kept getting the message "Connect device and Install drivers; Press enter to exit". My drivers are installed and have worked before but I will note that everything that requires cmd to either put a program or file on my 3D hasn't worked (getting the device not found message as well) in which I had to do it manually except when I unlocked my bootloader, in which case, everything went fine.

EDIT: I have gotten meanROM v.17 installed and have fixed my driver issue but now it is telling me that Secondary backup has failed. I have turned off all anti-virus but is still getting the problem I know that it says it shouldn't work with custom ROM's but as I have said, the RUU's have all given me errors and will not allow my device back to stock... What do I do

Harmonia works perfect for me to do s off

Upvote 0
I know folks have had success on one custom Rom or another,but as toad said,juopunut bears instructions very clearly state you need to be on a stock Rom with superuser installed.

If you stray from their requiements,understand that you're on your own for support,as they will NOT help you on irc.

from the jp bear prerequesites:
Be on the Stock RUU and be rooted (have superuser flashed). No other ROMs are supported, Fresh ROM will not work regardless of what you have read elsewhere
from step 2:
Verify - You are on Stock RUU (not FreshROM, Stock Rooted, HarmonyROM - none of these will work!)

Your best bet for successful s off is to run an ruu for your current build,install recovery,then flash superuser. Make sure you meet the pc requirements,then download the correct version for your phone/build. :)

couple other tips:
-make sure youre familiar with the troublehsooting steps,in case you want to stop and restore your phone without achieving s off:
http://unlimited.io/jbtroubleshooting.htm
-use a small spare sd card. there is a chance the sd can become irrecoverably wiped,and even damaged beyond reformatting and fixing.

Upvote 0
What are other alternate ways you can get to s-off (other than juopunutbear)?

If you're already at HBoot 1.58, there's really not another way to do so, as the other ways require HBoot of 1.5 or less (you'd have to downgrade from 1.5). It's not bad, and less nerve racking than bricking your phone, anyway. Everyone here will help you through. Good luck!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
actually 1.5 and above need jp bear.

in order to use revolutionary,youy need to go all the way bcak to hboot 1.40.000 :eek:

there is a way to downgrade,but im not sure how user friendly it is at this point,as it involves basically corrupting hboot and soft bricking your phone,so you can unbrick it,and in the process get h boot 1.4 back.

lots of things that could go wrong trying to downgrade. its a pretty hardcore process that involves linux for the recovery,and i would not recomend most folks even consider it.

juopunut bear is deafinately the safer way to achieve s-off on hboot 1.50+ :)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones