• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] No need to panic about 'locked' bootloader - HTC listened

JohnnyDramaVictory-270x300.jpg

boris_invincible.jpg

Upvote 0
i am going to throw a curve ball in here...

BlueScreen.(the dude with all the controversy... is he a troll?)

BS said that e3d will be release with full unlocked for dev community support.

what if.... htc just leaked some bad info (full lock) to get some up roar.. from the web. then say htc is listening and come to the rescue. did they just move up one notch on smartphone respect.. for a marketing spin trick???

just thinking... hhmm....????

Upvote 0
i am going to throw a curve ball in here...

BlueScreen.(the dude with all the controversy... is he a troll?)

BS said that e3d will be release with full unlocked for dev community support.

what if.... htc just leaked some bad info (full lock) to get some up roar.. from the web. then say htc is listening and come to the rescue. did they just move up one notch on smartphone respect.. for a marketing spin trick???

just thinking... hhmm....????
They didn't leak "bad info." They released some locked down phones (Sensation is similar to the Evo 3D and it is locked down) and the leaked Evo 3D ROM was also locked down.

Upvote 0
There's been a string of phones that been locked down from HTC now. Thunderbolt, Incredible S, Sensation, et. al. People who said that this was a new trend were correct all along. They just used poor terminology, saying these phones had "locked and signed" bootloaders, which taken at face value doesn't distinguish them from the older HTC phones.

So the recent consumer backlash against HTC might have erupted due to news that the 3vo was locked down, but it was really against HTC's lockdown policy that started a while back. And since HTC already proved with released phones that it DID increase bootloader security, there's NO reason to think HTC only threatened to lock things down as a marketing ploy. We really need to end that line of speculation because it makes NO sense at all.

Upvote 0
1. yes.. it was my speculation
2. they have had locked and signed bootloaders. but they were rooted fast. ex: thunderbolt.
3. e3d has not been out.. so how locked down is speculation too .. even with the "leaked" ROM.
4. after the very quick htc decision by ceo to have it unlocked... htc has earned a higher respect from the dev community. higher than it was before the news of the e3d lockdown.

wast it marketing ploy? well.. it is a possibility...that is all I am sayin

Upvote 0
In my humble opinion, HTC just didn't want to seem like another Apple, so they decided to look like the good guys and unlock their phones. Perhaps they finally realized that having them unlocked isn't going to hurt 95% of the consumer base, and it WILL help the other 5%, and unlocking them will not only generate publicity, but lots of good PR because now they have listened to the consumer. To me, it just seems like ANY compnay would've made that decision in that position. Except Apple.

Upvote 0
Absent facts to the contrary, the simplest explanation is usually the right one.
Occam's Razor FTW.

In my humble opinion, HTC just didn't want to seem like another Apple, so they decided to look like the good guys and unlock their phones. Perhaps they finally realized that having them unlocked isn't going to hurt 95% of the consumer base, and it WILL help the other 5%, and unlocking them will not only generate publicity, but lots of good PR because now they have listened to the consumer. To me, it just seems like ANY compnay would've made that decision in that position. Except Apple.
IMHO, any handset manufacturer would like to seem like Apple. Apple seems like Apple and they've been tremendously successful over the least the last 6-7 years. Disclaimer: I dislike Apple products and avoid them like the plague.

I agree, Apple would not fold in their ideology of a closed system, even under pressure. They would retool that idea into something that could be disastrous for their consumers (flash/trojan/virus/script baddies out there!) and it would be believed as gospel, and embraced. Apple marketing is 2nd to none in that respect. lol.

Upvote 0
I agree, Apple would not fold in their ideology of a closed system, even under pressure. They would retool that idea into something that could be disastrous for their consumers (flash/trojan/virus/script baddies out there!) and it would be believed as gospel, and embraced. Apple marketing is 2nd to none in that respect. lol.
I, too, try to avoid Apple's products, and advise my friends against them. Regardless of this, I agree Apple's marketing is definitely towards the top of the class. But what I was trying to say is that HTC was trying not to seem like the Apple of the Android community, and the move to unlocked bootloaders helped that immensely. In my personal opinion, Samsung's closer to Apple now...

Upvote 0
I, too, try to avoid Apple's products, and advise my friends against them. Regardless of this, I agree Apple's marketing is definitely towards the top of the class. But what I was trying to say is that HTC was trying not to seem like the Apple of the Android community, and the move to unlocked bootloaders helped that immensely. In my personal opinion, Samsung's closer to Apple now...

I think Samsung and Moto are fighting for that title.

Upvote 0
Wow... this is just kinda making me a depressed panda. Here I was gonna go walk into a store Sunday and just buy one of these. Not now after reading all this! I thought it was pretty cut and dry before, just 'Yes the bootlpader is going to be unlocked on release.' Hell, with tbis amount of waffling back and forth on it, saying how hard getting it fully rooted is going to be, questioning if it will ever have full root, I might just eat my words and buy a SGS 2 when it comes out for Sprint. Was not expecting hell to freeze over on a simple thing like this.

Upvote 0
That's pleasant news. Correct me I'm wrong but this would be a first for a manufacturer company to provide an unlocked boot loader, would it not? Usually it's locked, but not encrypted, if I understand correctly.

I wonder how network carriers feel about this. :) I can't imagine ATT being happy about it if they don't even want people sideloading apps.

Upvote 0
I wonder how network carriers feel about this. :) I can't imagine ATT being happy about it if they don't even want people sideloading apps.
I think HTC is big enough now that if AT&T stopped carrying HTC phones, it would hurt AT&T a lot more than it would hurt HTC. Especially if Samsung, Motorola, Sony, and LG all have their bootloaders unlocked too (and hopefully they all will).

Upvote 0
Wow... this is just kinda making me a depressed panda. Here I was gonna go walk into a store Sunday and just buy one of these. Not now after reading all this! I thought it was pretty cut and dry before, just 'Yes the bootlpader is going to be unlocked on release.' Hell, with tbis amount of waffling back and forth on it, saying how hard getting it fully rooted is going to be, questioning if it will ever have full root, I might just eat my words and buy a SGS 2 when it comes out for Sprint. Was not expecting hell to freeze over on a simple thing like this.

It still may be worthwhile though. I walked into Radio Shack and paid $80 for my E3D. I have no plans to activate it until the bootloader is unlocked though.

Upvote 0
It still may be worthwhile though. I walked into Radio Shack and paid $80 for my E3D. I have no plans to activate it until the bootloader is unlocked though.

yeah see i got mine on realease day expecting to be able to root right amost right away so i am kinda of dissapointed paying so much for it. But, what made it worth while is when i sold my onld rooted evo 4g for 200 to some kid off craigslist....yay for free evo 3d LOL

Upvote 0
yeah see i got mine on realease day expecting to be able to root right amost right away so i am kinda of dissapointed paying so much for it. But, what made it worth while is when i sold my onld rooted evo 4g for 200 to some kid off craigslist....yay for free evo 3d LOL

Lulz! That's awesome. I basically paid $30 for my 3VO w/ the Sprint loyalty credit.

Upvote 0
From HTC:

I know how important it is to have the bootloader unlocked on the EVO 3D. Thank you for registering your feedback in regards to HTC’s latest statement on bootloader policy. While the statement notes that locked bootloaders will not be occurring on future devices, the official policy is still being reviewed as it pertains to existing devices. The EVO 3D was already far into production process when this statement was released. Please keep an eye on www.htc.com and www.twitter.com/htc for the latest news.

Sincerely,

Lisa

HTC

Upvote 0
The Sensation is an existing device, and it would seem there's concrete evidence that HTC has gone public saying they intend to unlock that bootloader. From June 17:

HTC Confirms Sensation Bootloader Unlocking Coming Soon

If the Sensation unlock is true, there's no reason for me to think they wouldn't provide the same treatment for E3D.

But I think I'm still going to mentally prepare for the worst.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones