• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] No need to panic about 'locked' bootloader - HTC listened

The Sensation is an existing device, and it would seem there's concrete evidence that HTC has gone public saying they intend to unlock that bootloader. From June 17:

HTC Confirms Sensation Bootloader Unlocking Coming Soon

If the Sensation unlock is true, there's no reason for me to think they wouldn't provide the same treatment for E3D.

But I think I'm still going to mentally prepare for the worst.

And watch xda with the eyes of a hawk

Upvote 0
From HTC:

I know how important it is to have the bootloader unlocked on the EVO 3D. Thank you for registering your feedback in regards to HTC’s latest statement on bootloader policy. While the statement notes that locked bootloaders will not be occurring on future devices, the official policy is still being reviewed as it pertains to existing devices. The EVO 3D was already far into production process when this statement was released. Please keep an eye on www.htc.com and www.twitter.com/htc for the latest news.

Sincerely,

Lisa

HTC

Utter BS renege... :( Guess that makes the decision even easier for me.

Upvote 0
Ok I've been following this bootloader thing for a while now...and i realized, i have no idea what unlocking it does. I'm very new to android, what's the unlocking the bootloader do exactly, and does this affect rooting?

from my understanding......

you can get a temp root with a LOCKED bootloader.

to be able to flash new ROM and Kernels.. you have to unlock the bootloader.

Upvote 0
Sounds like there may be an issue here..

I honestly don't think there will be. Not even 24 hours ago, the official HTC twitter account said they are 'sticking by their decision to provide a way for people to unlock their bootloaders' and that they and their partners are working on a way to make it happen.

That tells me the fix is in the works. I love the phone the way it is, but I fully expect this will happen in the near future.

Upvote 0
2 diff reps, 2 diff replies

The bootloader will be unlocked, it's just a matter of when; we're trying to get it ready to release and hope to have this soon. Our official announcements, since this is a priority situation, will go directly to our social media outlets when they're ready (like the previous announcements). You'll hear about it when I do. I do hope that it is soon for you.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC

Upvote 0
3rd response 3rd answer:

The other response you got may have been the tentative, cautious response based only on what we're supposed to say. Like I said, we are going to be unlocking the bootloader for the EVO 3D as we said we would. We don't have an official timeline set, though I hope it will be well before the time you have to return the phone is up. When we do have that information, since it comes from the top it'll go straight to the social media pages like Facebook and Twitter.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC

Upvote 0
How does that work, both the $80 price point at RS and no requirement to activate... what am I missing? :thinking: Isn't this phone retail: $179, immediate activation, and 2 year?

Traded in some older phones I had which got the price down to $80. I also did not have them immediately activate my phone. I said that they could go through all the Sprint channels they needed so that my contract was extended until 2013 but I did not want my 3VO active yet. That was cake. The rest is all cake since I called Sprint shortly afterwards and got my loyalty credit. Wham bam thank you ma'am.

Reactions: hakujin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones