• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Official HTC Root Questions

I want to root my 3VO for a number of reasons. The most important being:

1. Ability to underclock processor to conserve battery life
2. To remove bloat
3. Tethering

Aside from these I want to keep my phone pretty stock. Mostly because the only ROM I trust is Cyanogenmod (I used it on my hero for over a year) and there currently isnt a version of CM7 for the 3VO. My question is if HTC's official bootloader unlocker would allow me to do these things or do all of these things require S-Off and not just an unlocked bootloader? Please do not recomend ROMs for me to try, I went through about 12 on my hero and only cyanogen mod worked properly/better than stock.

What HBoot version are you on, have you done the latest FOTA update on your phone, you can check the link in my signature on my root process I am currently on the stock Rom with root

My Step By Step Root Process

2. To remove bloat
3. Tethering

Aside from these I want to keep my phone pretty stock. Mostly because the only ROM I trust is Cyanogenmod (I used it on my hero for over a year) and there currently isnt a version of CM7 for the 3VO. My question is if HTC's official bootloader unlocker would allow me to do these things or do all of these things require S-Off and not just an unlocked bootloader? Please do not recomend ROMs for me to try, I went through about 12 on my hero and only cyanogen mod worked properly/better than stock.

Upvote 0

2. To remove bloat
3. Tethering

Do you have android sdk installed? What version. Can you locate your fastboot command?

Upvote 0
You should be able to do all those things. Not 100% sure about underclocking but pretty sire you can. And i would not be so closed minded about ROMe based on antiquated experience. Your Hero was 2 generations ago and phones have made quantum leaps in that time. Sense was a tremendous burden on the Hero and CM relieved that burden by removing it(AOSP). Anyway, there were many excellent developers for the 4G and many coming on line for this device. Your logic is analagous to me saying don't recommend electronic fuel injection hecause my carbeurator works just fine. I can tell you EFI is 5x better than a carb just like this phone is 5x more capable than your Hero.....just sayin'.
But i wont recommend any ROMS......;)

Upvote 0
You should be able to do all those things. Not 100% sure about underclocking but pretty sire you can. And i would not be so closed minded about ROMe based on antiquated experience. Your Hero was 2 generations ago and phones have made quantum leaps in that time. Sense was a tremendous burden on the Hero and CM relieved that burden by removing it(AOSP). Anyway, there were many excellent developers for the 4G and many coming on line for this device. Your logic is analagous to me saying don't recommend electronic fuel injection hecause my carbeurator works just fine. I can tell you EFI is 5x better than a carb just like this phone is 5x more capable than your Hero.....just sayin'.
But i wont recommend any ROMS......;)

I totally understand what you're saying. Another part of why I only want to use CM is because I've used it for so long. Most people don't think about this, but you are putting a lot of faith in a dev when you decide to run their OS on a device that has your whole life on it (passwords, credit card info, ect). I've already trusted the CM team for a while with great results and thus I continue to trust them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones