• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] phone not rebooting completely

scroodles

Apr 3, 2012
OK your thread is a little confusing, so I will see if we can get to the bottom on this for you..

You say you unlocked your phone and then you decided to take the ICS OTA Update, is that correct ?? If yes that is your issue, when rooted it is not suggested to take any OTA's

Now if this is the case, then you most likely lost root to your phone, and are now on HBoot 1.58 with the new baseware. so as far as I know you have 2 options

1-Since you took the OTAand if you are unlocked. Flash twrp 2.2.0 (directions are on their site), then flash a custom rooted ROM. Since you are s-on, you will have to flash the kernel properly (using fastboot or flash image GUI). I recommend you get s-off.

2- You should flash stock recovery to your device. then take the OTA .
if it does not work, lock your Bootloader after flashing stock recovery , then take OTA, then update to the OTA 4.0
I think i am having the same issue as emmanuel78, i took the ota and i think i lost root, but i still have an unlocked bootloader. the problem now is that i cant turn on my phone, it's stuck on the htc screen! And the real problem is that i didnt undertand even one ioda of your instructions to fix it. Is there a way to explain what to do in greater detail and in the easiest possible way to fix it? and the reason i dont understand the instuctions is because I'm a newbie at this.

I am a rooted user who took the ota for ICS, but it didnt work so i kept on trying. Eventualy, after trying a bunch of times and rebooting back to android software 2.3.4, my phone got stuck on the htc screen and will not reboot anymore. I have tried wiping it, but the problem is that i cant reboot past the htc screen to even know if the wipe worked! Does anybody have any suggestions? PS- I am not familier with flashing roms, so any instructions have to be in great detail. Thank you!

Upvote 0
What happened at the Sprint store first, second why did you take the OTA when rooted, we always preach not to take OTA

My recommendation would be to have to flash the RUU, one step at a time.
the sprint store said that they "dont have the equipment" to take off the root software to put on the stock software. Also, I thought that since i lost root, then i can update ota. Also, I dont know how to flash an ruu....Thanks!

Upvote 0
the sprint store said that they "dont have the equipment" to take off the root software to put on the stock software. Also, I thought that since i lost root, then i can update ota. Also, I dont know how to flash an ruu....Thanks!

Sprint "doesn't have the software" really good feeling that's their way of saying they won't touch a rooted phone lol which is why you read and research before doing ota, not to sound like an a$$ but you never take a rooted device into a sprint store seeing as how the root voids your warranty anyway and sprint WILL NOT even help you if it's rooted.

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
The issue is the latest OTA is fairly new and there is not much on returning your device back to stock, but here is a good place to start, before you do anything, make sure you ask more questions after reading, and if we can't help you, then I will try to get Scotty here to help you out.

Upvote 0
hi scroodles. lets start by getting as much information as possible.

1)did you root the phone? if so what method did you use?

2)in as much detail as possible,what have you done to try and fix the phone?

3)what is the information you have on your hboot screen? you will get to hboot by removing the battery for a few seconds,then hold volume down and power(volume down slightly first). hold them both until you see a white screen with colored letters. this is hboot. tell us what all it says there.

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
hi scroodles. lets start by getting as much information as possible.

1)did you root the phone? if so what method did you use?

2)in as much detail as possible,what have you done to try and fix the phone?

3)what is the information you have on your hboot screen? you will get to hboot by removing the battery for a few seconds,then hold volume down and power(volume down slightly first). hold them both until you see a white screen with colored letters. this is hboot. tell us what all it says there.
I rooted the phone with the htcdev unlock method. So my recovery system is TWRP.
What i have done to try to fix it, is do a restore of the nandroid backup, i also tried to wipe the phone, i also tried to flash(i think what i was doing is flashing, although i'm not entirely sure that i was doing anything correctly) the ISC rom, the problem is that none of these methods worked because my phone would simply not go past the htc screen.
On my hboot screen it says: unlocked, shooter xc ship s-on RL, Hboot is 1.50, radio is1..06.00.1216, eMMC-boot, Aug 7 2011

Upvote 0
The issue is the latest OTA is fairly new and there is not much on returning your device back to stock, but here is a good place to start, before you do anything, make sure you ask more questions after reading, and if we can't help you, then I will try to get Scotty here to help you out.

is this all i really have to do? unroot my phone?

Upvote 0
is this all i really have to do? unroot my phone?

not using that guide. that is for s-off phones that are running an older hboot.

prolly your best bet is to run an ruu.

first download this:

Shipped ROMs

similarly to when you unlocked,open a cmd widow,and change to the directory that you used(c\android if you followed htcdevs directions)

place your phone in fastboot(select fastboot from the hboot menu) and plug it in

enter this command:
fastboot oem lock

it will cause your phone to try and reboot. pull the battery after a couple minutes,and place it back in fastboot.

now run the utility i linked above. plug the phone in when directed.

the utility will run and update your phone to stock ICS

Reactions: scroodles and DonB
Upvote 0
Now that we know your S-ON and HBoot 1.50, we also know your OTA did not take otherwise you would of been on HBoot 1.58, so with that all said, do exactly what Scotty mentioned and you should be back to stock ICS with the latest Sprint OTA along with the newest HBoot and Radio, if you have any other issues and are confused, before doing anything ask first. Good Luck

The reason for the thread I link you to about unrooting, was because I thought you were S-OFF, so disregard.

Upvote 0
not using that guide. that is for s-off phones that are running an older hboot.

prolly your best bet is to run an ruu.

first download this:

Shipped ROMs

similarly to when you unlocked,open a cmd widow,and change to the directory that you used(c\android if you followed htcdevs directions)

place your phone in fastboot(select fastboot from the hboot menu) and plug it in

enter this command:
fastboot oem lock

it will cause your phone to try and reboot. pull the battery after a couple minutes,and place it back in fastboot.

now run the utility i linked above. plug the phone in when directed.

the utility will run and update your phone to stock ICS
woohoooo! thank you so much! that rom update worked like a charm! I barely had to do anything!

Reactions: scotty85 and DonB
Upvote 0
Just one more question, for the titanium backup, I need to root again. All I need to do is unlock the hboot again? Can I use the same fastboot files I have for my previous Rom?

by fastboot files,do you mean your original unlock_code.bin? yes,it will work to re-unlock.

be aware that htcdev has many limitations. if you want to run the stock rom,but with root,consider not permantly installing your recovery.

this thead may help you understnad some of htcdev limiations. its for the rezound,but everything applies,youll just need to substitute the recovery image for the one that you use. holler if you have questions :)

http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/587430-s-want-flash-roms-read.html

Upvote 0
Am i supposed to download the ruu for the ICS operating system? where do i find it? which process do i go through to root my phone?

:thinking:

you just downloaded and ran the ruu,there is something you are misunderstanding.

the process to root again:
1)reunlock
2)launch or intall recovery
3)flash superuser in recovery

for ICS,you need to use this superuser: [16.07.2012] SuperSU v0.94 - xda-developers

you can temporarily launch recovery into phone memory with the directions in the link i provided,you will just need to place your recovery image into the folder where you have fastboot/adb. doing this will keep your stock recovery on the phone.

you can permantly install recovery if you want to,but keep in mind that you will not be able to accept OTAs.

Upvote 0
Let me ask you this before we go through this in detail, are you planning on flashing Roms ?? if not then stay with your current stock Rom, and save yourself the grief, JMO

I already have TWRP 1.1, can i keep this or do i need to update it?

Reactions: scroodles
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones