• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Recovering apps after ROM change

grepper

Jun 11, 2011
Midwest
I've been playing with new ROMs, now on my 3rd or 4th. I'm very comfortable with the flashing of the ROM. But, one thing is driving me crazy...

When I load the new ROM, I lose all of my apps.

Some of the forums seem to indicate that after ROM flash you can go through recovery to select which apps to bring back to new ROM.

1) I can't figure out how to do that.

2) Is there an easy method to saving apps that I'm just missing?

Help. :)

G (feeling like the noob I was pretending not to be)

When I load the new ROM, I lose all of my apps.

If you are going from Stock to something based on Sense you do not need to wipe everything or wipe data. It is all based on the same platform so you can keep your data unless you boot and it's all messed up, then go back and wipe data or wipe everything and reflash the ROM. you also do not need to wipe data or wipe everything when you update a ROM.

devs do it when testing their ROMs but that is to be thorough

Reactions: ceabbott2
Upvote 0
I'm not sure exactly why, but when I flashed viper 1.3 yesterday and set up wifi, then opened market and it automatically downloaded everything I had on the phone with mik's. I just figured it was a new setting somewhere.

Of course all data was gone so I had to start over in all of my games but oh well. Personally I don't believe in backing up data and wipe clean between all of my flashes. I just like to be as stable as possible and start with a clean slate. As a result I've never had a bad flash or any weird problems at all. I like that.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure exactly why, but when I flashed viper 1.3 yesterday and set up wifi, then opened market and it automatically downloaded everything I had on the phone with mik's. I just figured it was a new setting somewhere.

When you setup your phone there is an option to backup apps through google. You probably left that option checked.

Upvote 0
@grepper - I'm not sure what you meant by "auto reinstall of selected Apps".
Maybe these are Apps that comes with the ROM or installed by Market (Apps you previously downloaded). I'm using a free version of My Backup Root, it maybe an option on pro version?

I select ALL APKS + DATA when doing backup, just to have copies, but only reinstall what I need. APPMonster is good for backup of apks to SD card.

Here are some of my favorites apps:
Adfree
clockart
screen off and lock
quickboot
touchpal input
A.I. Keyboard
call confirm

Reactions: grepper
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones