• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Reinstalling Android OS from scratch

Varnis9

Aug 22, 2012
Hi guys

Is there any chance that I can reinstall android OS from scratch? The reason why I need to do that, is because I removed the SD card from phone while firmware update was taking place and updating failed. Now my phone cannot boot up and factory reset cannot be done. I have a HTC EVO 3D.

Thanks

Hi...

Welcome aboard. Have you tried removing and re-inserting the battery. I'm not sure how removing the sd card would have caused that to happened.

As for your question, resetting the device is the only way to do what you want. If you do not have the "fast boot" box checked, then holding down the power and up volume button should take you to a screen that you can follow steps to reset the device.

I'm sure a staff member will move your thread to its support forum. Where you'll be able to find info and get tips on this device.

Good luck and thanks for joining the community. :)

Upvote 0
There is.a.chance,it.depends what was flashing when you interupted it. I have to ask why would you pull your ad card,battery,or in.general mess with your phone at all while it.was flashin?

What is.the information on your.hboot.screen,and what were you trying to flash? What was your software build number if you know it.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
If it is a UK phone, then it is a GSM version of the phone, you have 2 options, call HTC and they will walk you through the process, of, get the proper Image file stock rom, and flash in HBoot, we will need to make sure your phone is a GSM phone first.

The question is why would you pull the battery during install, ??

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I took my SD card out because I thought that I could prevent anything from being deleted (nobbie thing to do I know). On my hboot men I have Fastboot, Recovery, Factory Reset, Simlock and Image CRC.

When I took the SD card out I was updating to the new Icecream Sandwich firmware.

P.S. How can I find if it is a GSM? (90% it is a GSM though).

Upvote 0
To make is easy, is it a US phone, or do you live in the UK and was the phone bought in the UK ??

My guess if you have simlock, then it is a GSM phone.

I took my SD card out because I thought that I could prevent anything from being deleted (nobbie thing to do I know). On my hboot men I have Fastboot, Recovery, Factory Reset, Simlock and Image CRC.

When I took the SD card out I was updating to the new Icecream Sandwich firmware.

P.S. How can I find if it is a GSM? (90% it is a GSM though).

Upvote 0
Well one bright side is you have the right phone for your country, to make it simple for you, before we walk your through steps and complicate things for you, I would call the carrier you are going to hook the phone up with, and they will walk you through the process of flashing the proper boot image back on your phone, and if they don't then call HTC support they will, if after that you are still stuck and they don't help you resolve your issue, then we will do our best to guide you, as we are on a CDMA version of your phone, so we want to make sure you have the proper support first.

I live in the UK and I bought it from amazon. I am pretty certain that it is a GSM phone since I am currently in Cyprus (europe) and here the signal is GSM and my phone worked before the problem.

Upvote 0
Here is some info which might help, logically you won't have to do the re lock part, but this should work, even though the steps are for a desire HD

C&P

First of all, this is not my work. This is just a compilation of all the information obtained from various threads and the members of XDA. I claim no credit but just wanted to write this for all who wishes to get back to stock ROM (like myself) either for Backup purposes or Warranty cases. Using the HTC method to unlock the bootloader has given me hell such as Wifi error and stuffs. So here it is

Special thanks to Monx

1. Create a Goldcard (use a spare Micro SD in the phone after formatting with FAT 32) and follow the instructions below

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...htc-desire-hd/
* Instructions may be for Desire HD but it can be used too for our EVO
* Only Procedure 3 is different as all u need to do is use the Goldcard helper
App to copy the Reverse CID to clipboard

2. RELOCK your Bootloader (STEP 14) if its unlocked using HTC method below
http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unl...uctions/page-4

3. Download your original RUU ROM from here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1208485

4. Extract the ROM.ZIP file from the RUU ROM that you downloaded
One method of doing this is here
http://lukasz.szmit.eu/2010/04/extra...c-android.html

5. Once you have copied out the ROM.zip file, rename it to PG86IMG.zip

6. Copy this PG86IMG.ZIP file into the Root directory on your GOLDCARD

7. Power down your phone and with the Goldcard still in

8. Go into Bootloader (Hold POWER + Vol Down)

9. Phone will auto detect the PG86IMG.ZIP, extract and then ask permission to flash. Select "YES" ....or course

10. Once its done...you got your STOCK ROM back. However your bootloader will still show "RELOCKED"

Upvote 0
HARD RESETTING BY BUTTON:

1. Take out the battery, stay for a few seconds, and then reinsert the battery.
2.Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and after that briefly press the POWER button.
3. Stay for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and after that free the VOLUME DOWN button.

4. Press VOLUME DOWN to choose FACTORY RESET, and after that press the POWER button.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Important:[FONT=&quot]
* Please Do Not Reset Your Mobile Without Any Unrecoverable Difficulty.
** Hard Reset Will Erase All User Data From Your HTC Evo 3D.
So Keep In Mind To Back Up Your Important Data Before Hard Reset.
*** Please Fully Charge Your Phone Battery before Reset Because Any Power Failure May Damage Mobile Permanently.
****Some Times Reset Can Damage Your Mobile.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
OK, don't get frustrated, I thought you were trying to reset from the menu screen, then you will have to wait until tomorrow, then, we would hate for you to flash an image file and it is the wrong one, you can call your carrier tomorrow or HTC support, they will square you away

HTC Info below

Call us on:

0845-890-0079

Monday - Friday

9 am to 9 pm

Saturday

9 am to 1 pm

This is the third time I am explaining this guys. I cannot do a factory reset because after i choose the factory reset selection, the phone gets stuck on the welcome screen. This is the case when I try booting up the phone normally

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones