1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [CDMA] Rom help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by grepper, Aug 6, 2011.

1. grepper

grepper Member
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Automotive Dealership Management
    Midwest
    Looking for some good newb advice on flashing a ROM ... Want to be certain it is done right.

Just looking for clarification that I'm not missing a step.

I'm rooted, check.
    I've made backup (TB and with ROM mgr), check.

Now, just download a ROM (ROM mgr).
    Then, install ROM.

Is it really that easy?

G

Advertisement

2. thelonewizard

thelonewizard Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Student
    Indiana
    Yup. I, personally, make a folder on my SD specifically for ROMs. Download the ROM, put it in the folder, boot into recovery, wipe cache and dalvik, then flash the ROM. The phone should install it, and then boot up. THe first boot of a new ROM seems to take a bit longer than usual.

3. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Don't use rom manager. Just download and put on your sd card and go into recovery and wipe, then flash it manually. Using rom manager is just asking for trouble...

(now cue up 50 people that used it and didn't have any issues... It doesn't matter, it's still asking for trouble)

EVO3D likes this.
  4. grepper

grepper Member
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Midwest
    Do you flash kernels the same way? Just flash to drive and then flash in recovery?

And please clarify "wiping"...

Wipe cache? Or wipe total (factory reset)?

Thanks!

5. cmcollins001

cmcollins001 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 9, 2010
    You need to do a Dalvik wipe and it would be best, just to be on the safe side, to do a cache wipe as well. Once you get past the initial fear of your first ROM flash, you'll end up doing it all the time "just to see" what the other ROM's are like before finally settling on your favorite. I was going to wait to root until it's been around a little longer and make sure all the bugs are worked out, but as I was reading this forum one night, minding my own business, I looked down and I was rooted. Don't know how it happened. It was and out of body experience. Then I was reading up on Viper ROM, just reading mind you, because I wanted to wait again...then I looked down and my phone is rebooting and the Viper ROM screen animation is flashing across my screen (extremely awesome animation btw). I flashed and flashed and flashed my Evo 4G once I got the hang of it, ended up rooting and flashing a ROM on my Galaxy Tab as well. So far, I've rooted 6 different android phones for friends and co-workers. Beware...once you get started, there is no turning back. You have been warned.

grepper likes this.
  6. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Kernels are flashed just like everything else: Installed from ZIP in recovery. Although if you're new to the whole flashing thing, I'd recommend TWRP. It is a bit better organized than Clockwork. The backup tool is pretty cool, too.

7. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    Wipe dalvik, cache and do the factory reset option to erase everything. Then flash your zip.

Be sure to do a fresh nandroid each time before you wipe. You can never have too many backups.

EarlyMon likes this.
  8. grepper

grepper Member
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Midwest
    I'm now on ROM #3... Feeling pretty comfortable with this now. Because of some continued problems with HTC Sense, I finally went with Senseless. Very nice!

Thanks for all the advice!

Tags: