• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] ROM questions

jtlind01

May 18, 2011
Ok so this may be a silly question to the more experienced technology genius but I am lacking in that area. I have Android version 2.3.3 unlocked with revolutionary. I am stuck at 2.3.3 right? Going to 2.3.4 would lose the ability to have root with revolutionary and only being able to unlock with htc correct? Now the real question I have is when I search out ROMS, Themes, and Kernels etc...I have to find ones based on 2.3.3 version don't I? I tried putting Synergy 2.3.4 on my phone not paying attention to the 2.3.4 number and the CM7 that's out now and had a host of problems with force closings and such. All that came from trying to flash to Android version 2.3.3 right? I really don't want to lose root from revolutionary and have my phone marked by htc if i don't have to, so that being said is there any advantage to having the latest 2.3.4 build? I'm learning but it's slow coming. Thanks for all the help.

If you flash a rooted ROM (ie ALL custom ROMs) you will NOT lose root. The easiest way to lose root is to accept an OTA ("over the air") update or to install a non-rooted ROM (which will usually be identified as stock unrooted, and are probably harder to find than you think).

2.3.3 and 2.3.4 are the versions of android currently available for the Evo 3D. You can install either on your phone without it making a difference, since when you flash a ROM it will overwrite everything (besides the bootloader, recovery, etc) currently on your phone. Themes and addons need to be for a specific version of android, however, so you wouldn't install a 2.3.3 theme on your phone if it was running 2.3.4.

You need to do a full data wipe (or factory data reset) from TWRP or Clockwordmod recovery (whichever you have) before installing a new ROM or you will encounter issues. Certain ROMs are in constant development (Synergy) so are bound to have some issues (like the force closing that you noticed) unless you grab a build that other users have identified as being particular stable.

A good day-to-day ROM for me has been CleanROM that you might be interested in checking out.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
Run what you want. My phone came with 2.3.3 and I'm very happy now on synergy (2.3.4) and everything is working great for me on build 498. If you go to 2.3.4 you may want to upgrade your radios but when I tried my download speeds went down so I went back to the same radios I ran on the 2.3.3 roms.

The only thing you can't do is accept the OTA.

Upvote 0
Ok the first reply says that you don't want to install a 2.3.3 rom on a system that is 2.3.4 and vice versa while the last reply says he has 2.3.3 but is running synergy 2.3.4. Am I missing something here, at first glance they seem to contradict each other but I ma be losing something in translation, no offense intended by this. I wanted to give Synergy a go since I have heard nothing but awesome comments on it but it seemed very shaky when I gave it a go. I decided to stick with Supra Rom for the time being as it has been absolutely tits so far for me but I wanted to theme it with this transparent tranquility theme because I amm just tired of the saame old stock look. Onl prblem is that once the theme is flashed it repeatedly tells me that USB mass storage is enabled when it's not even hooked up to a cord so it won't let me place calls r do anthing til I can resolve that. Just kinda sucks. That's one of the main reason I wanted root and the ability to customize the phone, just because I get sick of the same old tired look after a while. I'll keep you posted as I try to work it out and if you have anymore thoughts on it let me know. Hope all the rooters are having a good evening tonight.

Upvote 0
We both said the same thing. He just mentioned that if you apply any themes to your chosen rom they need to be the right version to apply correctly. IE, if you choose to run a 2.3.3 rom and want to apply a theme it needs to be 2.3.3 compatible.

Your phone is rooted, you can run any rom you like.

Upvote 0
Viper is a good rom if you're looking for a 2.3.3 rom to run. Right about the time I got around to trying it the 2.3.4 roms were coming into fruition and I wanted to go that way so I only ran viper for a week or so but everything worked, and battery life with the oc daemon was great.

Of the 2.3.4 roms I've found Steelrom to be about the most stable and synergy to be the most innovative so far. Myn's rom seems to be almost as good as his warm rom was for evo so far and he doesn't even consider it a release candidate yet.

Mik is one of my favorite devs but his rom for the 3d is unfinished. Seeing as how he didn't get an evo3d it seems like it will stay that way too.

Upvote 0
I need to figure out the best ROM for my Evo 3D. I want reliability, more than anything else. I heard Viper ROM might be good. More recommendations / comments would be welcome. Thanks.

You might consider CleanROM as well. I've flashed just about every "stable" ROM on XDA and I use CleanROM as my daily driver. He has some nifty mods in his ROM but a lot of the "tweaks" are left in his rom updater and you can choose to take it further or leave it close to stock... Super stable.

Upvote 0
I saw a post saying Myn's rom was almost as good but he doesn't consider it a release candidate yet. Is there still a way to get it to give it a test go around?
yes, but you can only access it through svn and all the info you need is here in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/411000-myns-warm-twopointthree.html

MYN's SVN link: http://warm-twopointthree-base.googlecode.com/svn/trunk

How to use svn: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1211234

Upvote 0
Viper is a good rom if you're looking for a 2.3.3 rom to run. Right about the time I got around to trying it the 2.3.4 roms were coming into fruition and I wanted to go that way so I only ran viper for a week or so but everything worked, and battery life with the oc daemon was great.

This brings up two questions:

1) Anybody heard if Viper will offer an update to 2.3.4?

2) I just loaded Viper because so many people commented on the great battery life. What type of CPU tuning or OC options should I consider for best balance between battery / performance?

Thanks!

G

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones