• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] [rooted]Evo 3d will not charge/boot.

amart6116

Lurker
Apr 19, 2011
My HTC EVO 3d won't charge or boot up.. It's on the charger now but all I get is a slooow blinking RED LED. I know that normally if the battery is completely drained it will blink red and then turn on once it catches a charge but for some reason it seems it won't even catch a charge.. I would just take it in, but it's also rooted. I'm running Synergy ROM with Ziggy kernel. I noticed after flashing this ROM that the battery wouldn't charge to 100% unless the phone charged on.. PLEASE HELP!
PS- I've only had the3 phone for 2 months so I don't think the battery itself is the problem..

Pull the battery out, clean the contacts and replace it after a minute, then try to charge it again, of you still get the same results, try using another charger to eliminate the charger as being the culprit, report back

My HTC EVO 3d won't charge or boot up.. It's on the charger now but all I get is a slooow blinking RED LED. I know that normally if the battery is completely drained it will blink red and then turn on once it catches a charge but for some reason it seems it won't even catch a charge.. I would just take it in, but it's also rooted. I'm running Synergy ROM with Ziggy kernel. I noticed after flashing this ROM that the battery wouldn't charge to 100% unless the phone charged on.. PLEASE HELP!
PS- I've only had the3 phone for 2 months so I don't think the battery itself is the problem..

Upvote 0
Pull the battery out, clean the contacts and replace it after a minute, then try to charge it again, of you still get the same results, try using another charger to eliminate the charger as being the culprit, report back

Thank you for your assistance 1st and foremost. I have unfortunately eliminated the charger possibility as I've tried 4 different wall chargers(3 HTC, 1 LG) and I've tried 2 different data cables(both HTC) directly to the CPU ending with the same result: RED LED for 5 seconds, then off for 25 seconds, RED LED(5 secs), then off(25 secs), repeat, repeat. I left the phone on the charger for 20 mins thinking it was maybe just really really dead and am seeing the same result.

Just took batter out and left out for 5 minutes. putting back in as we speak, connecting to charger............... SAME RESULT :( I'm thinking it's a battery issue and have a friend with the same phone. I shall meet with him, trying his battery, and report the results. Hopefully this is just a battery issue. Thanks again for your time and efforts in helping me resolve!

Upvote 0
NP keep us posted we are here to help you out

Thank you for your assistance 1st and foremost. I have unfortunately eliminated the charger possibility as I've tried 4 different wall chargers(3 HTC, 1 LG) and I've tried 2 different data cables(both HTC) directly to the CPU ending with the same result: RED LED for 5 seconds, then off for 25 seconds, RED LED(5 secs), then off(25 secs), repeat, repeat. I left the phone on the charger for 20 mins thinking it was maybe just really really dead and am seeing the same result.

Just took batter out and left out for 5 minutes. putting back in as we speak, connecting to charger............... SAME RESULT :( I'm thinking it's a battery issue and have a friend with the same phone. I shall meet with him, trying his battery, and report the results. Hopefully this is just a battery issue. Thanks again for your time and efforts in helping me resolve!

Upvote 0
Ok. So after unplugging my phone from the charger and before I left my house to try a different battery I noticed the slow blinking red LED still happening. After watching it a few times, again not connected to a charger, this continued. Assuming at this point it wasn't a battery or power issue I did a bing search specifically to my issue and found this: HTC Evo 3D won't turn on or charge! :( - xda-developers. After researching the suggestions offerred:

"This happened to me.
1. take out battery
2. hold down the power button for 15sec with battery out.
3. place battery back in phone and put the back on.
4. try to turn on. If it doesn't turn on try a different charger (this worked for me a few times. this worke dfor me a few times i remember back on at&t when i had the slider windows phone htc 8250 i think it needed a charger with more amperage to start the charge.)
5. If the above doesn't work maybe take it in to sprint if you have the warranty.",

and following the steps, MY PHONE BOOTED!:) Thanks again for your help and I hope that given the instructions I found we can help somebody else!

Reactions: ocnbrze and DonB
Upvote 0
Great glad you got it working

Ok. So after unplugging my phone from the charger and before I left my house to try a different battery I noticed the slow blinking red LED still happening. After watching it a few times, again not connected to a charger, this continued. Assuming at this point it wasn't a battery or power issue I did a bing search specifically to my issue and found this: HTC Evo 3D won't turn on or charge! :( - xda-developers. After researching the suggestions offerred:

"This happened to me.
1. take out battery
2. hold down the power button for 15sec with battery out.
3. place battery back in phone and put the back on.
4. try to turn on. If it doesn't turn on try a different charger (this worked for me a few times. this worke dfor me a few times i remember back on at&t when i had the slider windows phone htc 8250 i think it needed a charger with more amperage to start the charge.)
5. If the above doesn't work maybe take it in to sprint if you have the warranty.",

and following the steps, MY PHONE BOOTED!:) Thanks again for your help and I hope that given the instructions I found we can help somebody else!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones