• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Today I tried installing Android 4.1.2 PACman Jelly Bean Custom Firmware and Now I'm stuck :/

I've already tried that by flashboot flashing it in my command prompt and it didn't seem to work.

what do you mean,"it didnt seem to work?" did it give you an error message? or did it appear successful,but the phone still wont boot?

as the guys have said,with s on you cannot install the boot image from a permanent recovery. the recovery must be launched from fastboot into memory,or the boot.img must be installed manually.

a couple things about installing manually:
-the boot image muct be from the rom youre trying to install,as they are all different across roms. some may compatible,some may not.
-the boot image must be in your folder with the sdk tools adb,and fastboot. if you used the file above,the boot.img must be in the "mini-sdk" folder.

the other option is launching recovery from fastboot,wich well get to in a minute.

Today I tried installing a PACman Android 4.1.2 and it completely failed on my phone because I did not realize that I had a 1.58 instead of 1.50. I then began the process of trying to fix it and I got to the step where I relocked my i bootloader and was running ruu and It didn't work. I got the error message 140. I would really appreciate your help guys. Thank you

error 140 could pop up because the main version of the rom is higher than the ruu your trying to install,or the hboot is newer. s-on will not let you back-track in software builds or firmware,meaning you cant install older RUUs.

the ruu you should be using is this one:
Androidfiles RUU

if it fails,you may need to lower your main version.you can do that by:
-download setmainversionlow.zip from this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23169557&postcount=4
-re-unlock your bootloader(you can use your original token)
-enter recovery,via hboot
-flash main version low zip file from recovery
-relock bootloader
-run ruu

before you do that, i suggest we try and install a stock,rooted rom.
-go to this thread and download Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_2.89.651.2_odex
-you should still have a recovery image in your fastboot folder on your PC. when you first rooted,you undoubtedly permantly installed it using this command: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img. we are going to do something similar,but use a slightly different command to immediately load recovery into memory. plug in,make sure phone is in fastboot(you should see fastboot usb),open cmd window,change to adb/fastboot directory,and then use this command:
fastboot boot imagename.img

so if your recovery image is named simply "recovery" then you will:
fastboot boot recovery.img

shortly thereafter,your recovery should pop up on the phone. you can now:
-enable usb storage and trasnfer the rom to your sd card(or have moved it prior with an sd card reader,wichever is less confusing for you)
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache
-wipe dalvik cache
-install the stock rom linked above
-reboot

launching recovery from fastboot in this manner will basically make your phone think its s off :eek: for lack of a better explanation. whenever you fastboot boot recovery a seperate boot image flash should not be needed.

let us know what happens. once you have a working phone again,we can help you get your rom of choice installed. as DS has mentioned,not all are compatible with all firmware,so youll need to either s-off,or chose one compatible with your 1.58 hboot.

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
Hey scotty, got a pm about 30 minutes ago from him saying he rooted using revolutionary.

That's for 1.40 on lower only isn't it? :eek:

If so, I've went the entirely wrong way about this.

saaaaaaay whaaaaaaa ?? :eek:

if thats the case,he should be radio s off,and the roms hes chosen should have flashed just fine.

unless,he had rooted,turned s on for some reason,then tried to root using hctdev.

he also should not have gotten error 140 when running the ruu while s off.

is there hboot info earlier in the thread? if not then the info in the hboot screen would be very relevant to the discussion :D

Reactions: JonathanSkinny
Upvote 0
saaaaaaay whaaaaaaa ?? :eek:

if thats the case,he should be radio s off,and the roms hes chosen should have flashed just fine.

unless,he had rooted,turned s on for some reason,then tried to root using hctdev.

he also should not have gotten error 140 when running the ruu while s off.

is there hboot info earlier in the thread? if not then the info in the hboot screen would be very relevant to the discussion :D

I just caught the pm, he unlocked via htc dev and rooted via revolutionary, im confused now :thinking:

Waiting on a pm to confirm his hboot

Upvote 0
Tell him to stop with the PM's have him post in the thread so others can benefit also. This way we all can help with the proper input. ;)

I just caught the pm, he unlocked via htc dev and rooted via revolutionary, im confused now :thinking:

Waiting on a pm to confirm his hboot

Upvote 0
Tell him to stop with the PM's have him post in the thread so others can benefit also. This way we all can help with the proper input. ;)

excellent idea. at this moment i have 61 unopened PMs in my inbox :eek: since i have limited time on the PC,its divided out like this:
-open PMs from other guides/mods look at requested threads
-make my rounds of my favorite forums
-then if time permits i start whittling away at other pms,usually moving them to the forum to answer

its always better to help in the forum,where lots of folks can benefit from the answers :)

Upvote 0
Sorry guys just saw all the messages, but I do have S-on .

awsome! thanks for clarifying. refer back to post #51 and let us know how that goes,or if you have any questions about it :)

since your new to rooting/romming,dont be afraid to leave out any details,or to ask if you dont completely understand what were asking :)

Upvote 0
And btw my phone is Relocked with a security warning I just tried to unlock it using the unlocktoken method I used before and for some reason I'm getting the error message No file in directory when I clearly did it this way last time to unlock it.
make sure that you are in the same directory as when you did it the first time. that error quite literally means the file your trying to flash(unlock_code.bin) is not in your current working directory.

you can cd c:\ to a previous directory,or just find your other directory and move unlock_code.bin from it,to your current one. you can also download it to your current working directory from the email,if you still have that.

When I rooted my phone I'm pretty sure I did not use the recovery command. :/ I just looked over it and apparently I did! sorry for the confusion I used the command ./fastboot-mac flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img

good! as above,youll need to make sure that cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img is inside your current working folder.

then your fastboot command,following your other mac directions will be:
./fastboot-mac boot cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones