1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [CDMA] Unrooting flashed phone will result in nonworking mms?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nickman101, Jan 10, 2012.

1. nickman101

nickman101 Newbie
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Hi. I have an evo 3d that is currently flashed to Boost Mobile and is rooted. I heard that if I do the OTA update to ICS when it is available, I will not only lose my root but mms will not work also. I don't mind if it is unrooted, but I would definitely want mms to keep working. So my question is, if I do the OTA (whenever it is available) will mms still work on my phone?

Advertisement

2. wake69

wake69 Android Expert
    None

Jun 8, 2010
    Security Engineer
    Georgia
    why not just flash the rooted rom minutes after the ota is released?

nickman101 likes this.
  3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    You will get OTA updates for the Evo 3D on the Boost network?!? I know it's a subsidy of Sprint, but I didn't think you'd get OTAs.

But, if you're rooted, it's best to just wait, as wake suggested. When we went from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4, it took ~6 hours for that to happen. Hell, when they do the roll out, the rooted ICS update may be out sooner than you have the option for the OTA update. Because a dev may be given the update before your account is selected for it. (Roll outs take 3 days, usually)

4. mteezey

mteezey Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    You may lose mms but its as simple as.updating your profiles back to that of the "donor" usually your profiles won't change with the updates though unless it includes radios. But like said above I'm not sure if you will get it ota. Your best bet would be to flash yourself once its availible. In any case that you lose mms there are plenty of guides and people to help resolve the issue.

Tags: