• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Update Clockwork on EVO 3D

Alright guys, I'm a semi noob here i guess you could say. I've been rooting and flashing roms since the original evo came out. and i have the android SDK stuff, and i know how to start an ADB shell. however I've never done anything with it so bare with me.

As we all know, Rom manager (clockwork) does not suport the evo 3D yet in the sense that it still thinks your running an original evo. Thus we cant update clockwork. I've read a few threads briefly mentioning how to do this with like a nexus one or an incredible, but not an evo 3D. I'd like to update my recovery but i have no idea how. again, forgive the noob-ness in the SDK department. thanks in advance guys.

CWM does support the EVO 3D, simply download ROM from the market, install, then simply flash the recovery you should be on the latest version, 4.0.1.5 and if I am correct I believe there is another update today 5.0.0.0, not sure, but I thought I read that somewhere, when you flash the latest recovery you will see Evo 3D on the screen

FYI this should be posted in the rooted section.

Alright guys, I'm a semi noob here i guess you could say. I've been rooting and flashing roms since the original evo came out. and i have the android SDK stuff, and i know how to start an ADB shell. however I've never done anything with it so bare with me.

As we all know, Rom manager (clockwork) does not suport the evo 3D yet in the sense that it still thinks your running an original evo. Thus we cant update clockwork. I've read a few threads briefly mentioning how to do this with like a nexus one or an incredible, but not an evo 3D. I'd like to update my recovery but i have no idea how. again, forgive the noob-ness in the SDK department. thanks in advance guys.

Upvote 0
Yes I posted this morning there was a new Recovery release, and if you check over at XDA, looks like Joeykrim was also having issues with the new release, I have not flashed the new release as of yet, I figured I would wait.

Clockworkmod Recovery Update !!

Hmmmm...

I might have to check out 5.0.0.0 the CWM although I must admit I am a TOTAL teamwin fanboy!

Upvote 0
So far... from what I've seen the 4.0.1.5 version of clockwork mod recovery is the "only" stable release that supports the Evo 3d... When I update to the 5.0... Can't go into recovery from power/volume or boot into recovery from Rom manager. My saying, "If it ain't broke... don't fix it!" Applies to all of us flashing and installing custom roms and kernels! :) So if you have 4.0.1.5 and download Rom Manager from Google Play "DO NOT UPDATE OR FLASH TO THE 5.0.2. whatever version... You'll have nothing but problems from my experience!"

Anyone use Flash Clockwork Mod Touch on the HTC Evo 3D? And if so... is it completely stable... Won't try it myself... yet... Gone thru 5 RUU Stock flashes over the past week... LOL Just got 2 Evo 3ds to play with till I flash 1 over to boost mobile! :)

Upvote 0
Anyone use Flash Clockwork Mod Touch on the HTC Evo 3D? And if so... is it completely stable... Won't try it myself... yet... Gone thru 5 RUU Stock flashes over the past week... LOL Just got 2 Evo 3ds to play with till I flash 1 over to boost mobile! :)

No, the touch recovery for CWM is not stable for the EVO 3D. I would highly suggest 4EXTRecovery. It's rapidly becoming the recovery of choice for Evo 3D users and developers. Most new ROMs are developed to utilize 4EXT during install.

Upvote 0
Thus the reason why I held off testing it anymore as I had issues when it first came out also, I may have to try it again to see, but I am also getting close to testing the EXT4 that you all rave about, you know what happens old habits are hard to kick and if it ain't broke don't fix it, lol :driver:

I stand corrected. I just never see any references to it since it was an 'alpha release'.

Upvote 0
Thus the reason why I held off testing it anymore as I had issues when it first came out also, I may have to try it again to see, but I am also getting close to testing the EXT4 that you all rave about, you know what happens old habits are hard to kick and if it ain't broke don't fix it, lol :driver:

Going from TWRP 1.1.1 to TWRP 2 to 4EXT Touch is like going from DOS to Windows 3.1 to Windows 98 SE.

You can charge your phone in 4EXT and the battery indicator changes with the charge, for example. I don't remember TWRP ever having a charge module and the battery indicator was static.

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones