• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] update to JB without rooting?

The only update was to 4.0.4, you will still need root to flash though because it was never officially released for this phone, all you need to know about rooting the 3VO is located in this thread: http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=3892629
Enjoy and if you have any more questions just post away! :D
OB

Upvote 0
Thanks to all ;) I know this is a stupid question but the first link (which was a little complicated, sry) mentioned something about the RUU(?). I did everything it said, did research and still don't get it or know where it is or what to do with it. I honestly thought I had decent PC/Cell knowledge til now. I'm just backing up my phone and will be following the directions from the last link very soon. I'm not confident at all in my abilities so wish me luck, and if I get stuck you will see my panicked posts here lol. Please keep the advice coming and detailed info on where, what, how the RUU is appreciated. Y'all have been so kind, thank you ;)

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I almost forgot, today my Evo started giving me keyboard issues. The second line from the bottom stopped working and it doesn't seem to matter which keyboard I use. I tried the booster from the market, ran virus check, pulled the battery out, but nothing has worked. I spent an hour or so going through every setting too but no good. I have never had problems with this phone and it happened suddenly so I'm hoping a factory reset will do it. If that doesn't help, do y'all have any advice as to what it could be or what to do?

Upvote 0
Thanks to all ;) I know this is a stupid question but the first link (which was a little complicated, sry) mentioned something about the RUU(?). I did everything it said, did research and still don't get it or know where it is or what to do with it. I honestly thought I had decent PC/Cell knowledge til now. I'm just backing up my phone and will be following the directions from the last link very soon. I'm not confident at all in my abilities so wish me luck, and if I get stuck you will see my panicked posts here lol. Please keep the advice coming and detailed info on where, what, how the RUU is appreciated. Y'all have been so kind, thank you ;)

The RUU is basically the ultimate recovery tool. It will return your phone completely stock. It will remove root, remove a custom recovery, put you on the stock bootloader, stock operating system, etc. etc..

All of the Evo 3d ones can be found here: Shipped ROMs

If/when the time comes and you need help picking the right one, we will be more than happy to help you :)

Upvote 0
I almost forgot, today my Evo started giving me keyboard issues. The second line from the bottom stopped working and it doesn't seem to matter which keyboard I use. I tried the booster from the market, ran virus check, pulled the battery out, but nothing has worked. I spent an hour or so going through every setting too but no good. I have never had problems with this phone and it happened suddenly so I'm hoping a factory reset will do it. If that doesn't help, do y'all have any advice as to what it could be or what to do?

Hmm... If you have tried multiple keyboards and still have the same results, I would worry that it's a hardware issue.

You can definitely try a factory reset... It sounds like you are trying to root anyway which will cause a factory reset, so if you're resetting anyway you don't have much to lose.

Hopefully it will help but I'm worried your screen might be going bad :(

Upvote 0
do you have the same dead spots on the screen when not using the keyboard? what if you rotate the phone from landscape to portrait?
It may have a smidge of an issue in landscape but honestly that's how I've been using it because the problem seems all but nill that way. And I haven't really noticed issues other than when using the keyboard... Any advice?

Upvote 0
It may have a smidge of an issue in landscape but honestly that's how I've been using it because the problem seems all but nill that way. And I haven't really noticed issues other than when using the keyboard... Any advice?

Try in portrait as he mentioned and let us know if it still does it ??

If it does try a different Keyboard and report back

Upvote 0

it just depends on the issue. id think a hardware issue would have the same deadspots on the screen(alont the bottom in landscape,the side in portrait).

running an ruu,if one is available would reflash the "touch panel" firmware,so it may help. if youre not on a build that an ruu exists for,you can s-off,then run an older one,do a factory reset from hboot(after a fresh ruu,with stock recovery still installed). s off and run an ruu would defaintely be my advice.

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
if youre not on a build that an ruu exists for,you can s-off,then run an older one,do a factory reset from hboot(after a fresh ruu,with stock recovery still installed). s off and run an ruu would defaintely be my advice.

Luckily (at least with the cdma version) there is a working ruu even on the latest ota. It just requires flashing the setmainversionlow.zip

I think she is rooting anyway so she could unlock the bootloader through HTCdev, add custom recovery, flash setmainversionlow.zip, Relock bootloader, then run the ruu.

Assuming she does not want to do the wire trick for s-off. Otherwise, once s-off, you can just run the ruu.

If you are not on the latest ota update (2.95) and you are still on 2.89, then you should be able to run the ruu without all the extra steps listed above.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones