1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[CDMA] Update to stock ICS?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tasmin, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

Looked through some of the guides around here, but got a little overwhelmed. Haven't had to root or flash ROMs since my SGSI was tragically soaked when I was stranded in a down pour last July :)

My husband has a Sprint Evo 3D that we bought already rooted early this year. I have no idea what method the Craig's List guy used (he didn't tell us it was rooted and I completely missed it when we were checking the phone out). Anyway, no harm no foul since the phone works great. It's still on the stock ROM.

My husband wants to upgrade to ICS. He doesn't care if he retains root or not since he doesn't use any apps that take advantage of it. He will probably prefer a stock experience, and keeping HTC Sense is an absolute must. Is there any reason we couldn't go ahead and take the OTA update if we don't care about root? Or would we still be better off to go with a pre-rooted stock-based ROM?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. StarScream2109

StarScream2109 Extreme Android User

Well seeing as he doesn't use root then there is nothing wrong with taking the OTA and it can always be rerooted as he sees fit :)

Tasmin likes this.
  3. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Before taking the OTA, he might want to convert back to stock then take the OTA to make sure there are no issues, but I would personally check in the device forum to make sure first. Many have had issue taking the OTA on a rooted 3VO, so be careful.

EVO 3D - All Things Root

Tasmin likes this.
  4. Tasmin

Tasmin Well-Known Member

Which of the how to guides around here have the right set of instructions? The RUU-this and whatnot (I'm really rusty and never dealt with the tools with my Sammy) were a little ... intimidating.

5. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

HTC EVO 3D Forum

The HTC EVO 3D release date was July 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1730mAh battery.

July 2011
Release Date
Reviews