• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Warning to not root when hardware fails?

Crodley

Android Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Hi all,

I've rooted my Evo 3D and recently my headphone jack stopped working. After a factory reset and even doing a system update, still no go, so I took it to the Sprint repair shop.

They checked it and and came back and said the headphone jack is hardwired to the motherboard, no way to just replace the jack, and if he sent it to Sprint to replace the motherboard, they would know it was rooted, no matter the steps I might take to hide it and they wouldn't cover the cost of repairs.

So unless he was mistaken, a warning to others with the protection plan that if the hardware fails it might not be covered if it was rooted.

I only have until Dec for a new plan, but still, I use the headphone jack a LOT...oh well.

He's mistaken. It's possible to hide all traces of root. But more than that, Sprints official rooting policy does not allow them to deny you repair or replacement because of root. They may know, but the won't deny you the same treatment of a non rooter.

I think some people just get fed up with their jobs and act like that.

Unless something has changed, they will not deny you service for a rooted phone.

But if you're worried, as long as you are s-off, you can remove all traces.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's pretty simple to do. First, you are s-off right? If not, then there is no way to get rid of the *****RELOCKED***** bootlader which will tell them it has been unlocked.

If you are not s-off, performing the wire trick and gaining s-off will restore your bootloader to the original *****LOCKED***** state.

So if you're already s-off, download THIS to make sure your bootloader status return to locked. If you are on a non-stock hboot you will not be able to tell. You can only see this on a stock hboot.

Anyway put that zip on your sd card, and flash it via recovery. It will lock your bootloader back up if it isn't already.

Then simply run the RUU. Go here: Shipped ROMs and get the one named: RUU_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_2.89.651.2_Radio_1.09.00.0706__NV_NV_SPCS_1.43_release_271101_signed.exe

The RUU will return everything back to stock.

The only "Possible" indication left would be s-off. You can turn it back on, but I wouldn't bother. There are some people who actually received s-off phones initially. Leaving it off will make re-rooting the phone so much easier.

If you make a nandroid backup before returning to stock, you can easily restore everything right back to where you left off when you get the phone back.

If you want to turn s-on for any reason, use the fastboot command: fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

Do that after the RUU. Be Warned, never use this command unless you are on a stock signed hboot. If you are on a custom/patched hboot, you will be the proud owner of a new paperweight. ;)

That's really all there is to it.

TL;DR
Flash Lock_Bootloader.zip
Run RUU
(S-on Optional)

Upvote 0
...First, you are s-off right? If not, then there is no way to get rid of the *****RELOCKED***** bootlader which will tell them it has been unlocked. .

I went to my bootloader and while it shows I am unlocked, my phone is S-ON not S-OFF.

So does that mean there is no way to hide the rooted status then? If that's true, then it means I might as well stop paying the monthly fee for my repair plan with Sprint since it's worthless now anyway right?

Still, only 3 months till a new phone. :)

Upvote 0
It's possible to hide if you go through with s-off. The actual s-off process will hide what you want it to hide. Otherwise, I really doubt they will even look that closely. As long as you are stock, they may not even notice, not to mention that their policy will not prevent rooters from receiving service..

It's just a hardware failure completely unrelated to root. If you ruu to stock, they probably won't even notice anyway. There's really no reason to check your bootloader for a hardware issue...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones