• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Whats a safe max scalling to set on setcpu?

Every phone's tolerance will be different. Mine appears to be stable at 1700. I haven't pushed it any harder than that.

If your phone does crash, it's not a big deal. Typically, it just reboots. Don't use the set at boot option in SetCPU and you'll be able to adjust the value back down to something stable on the next reboot.

Reactions: ocnbrze and SMALBA
Upvote 0
I've been stable to 1700 too but I odn't leave it overclocked for daily driving. Overclocking uses more battery and makes more heat. That's 2 side effects that I don't want in my phone. If I'm running a benchmark I'll overclock it for a short bit but that's only once every blue moon. Honestly I can't tell the difference for day to day use when it's overclocked anyway.

Word on the street is the chip in our phones was designed to run at 1.5 but they underclocked it for our phone for some reason.

If anythign I like to set the phone to underclock when it's not being used much to save battery life. I run it down as far as 384mhz with ondemand scaling.

Upvote 0
They underclocked it for power saving purposes, or as the rumor had it during the pre-release speculations.

I think the governor matters more than max scale range. I like the conservative governor, and have a profile set to set the max scaling frequency at 500 when the screen is off. But if you want response time, interactive seems to be good for that.

Upvote 0
I ran conservative for a while but I had a few apps that the cpu wouldn't scale up in for some reason. In ondemand it still slows down when you're not doing much but it scales up appropriately in all of my apps. Conservative definitely keeps it lower longer, which would maximize battery life even more but I wanted it to be transparent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones