• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cell Phones : Necessity or Luxury?

Cell phones, and in and of themselves, are considered a "bare minimum" in the United State's quality of life level. They are more or less on par with a land line now.

Can you survive without it? Sure. But, you could survive without electricity as well. Or, without running water. But, I'm sure most would consider electricity and running water to be necessities.

Smart phones? Still a luxury. Texting? It's becoming on par with basic cell service, not quite there yet.

Upvote 0
We have a project on our Sociology class on how our society changes as technology advances. I need your guys' help on some research about the current status of cell phones.

For you, are cell phones necessity or a luxury? If possible please explain why.

Thank you in advance. Answers are appreciated :D

I'm not adding a poll because people just answer the poll and not have any inputs.

My cell phone wakes me for work in the morning.
It keeps me in touch with my child, as well as keeping track of her on gps if she gets into some difficulty.
I use it to find my way around cities that I am visiting. I have had to use it to call a tow truck (more than once) for my p.o.s. car.
My 86 year old mom uses it to call me at work if she has some difficulty.
My husband works out of town, about an hour away, and never knows exactly when he will be starting home, so when he gets to his car he calls to let me know that he is starting home, therefore dinner is always warm & ready when he gets home. (me too sometimes;))
It can brighten someones sad day with a call of kind words inspired with love.
Yep, it's definitly a necessity.
I also use it for entertainment, which is certainly a luxury.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones