• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cell Phones Through the Ages, as Told in Pictures

Not only was my first phone the classic Motorola brick, but I still have the original receipt, contract, and owners manual:

4624099403_0910fc845f_o.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm trying to find info on my first phone but am having trouble. Does anyone remember a phone with a sliding ear piece. It didn't cover the keys or anything just slid up and down to hang up the phone. Had a pull out antenna, no screen or anything just a bar that would show the numbers dialed. Probably around the mid to late nineties. I THINK it was a sony (waaaay before erricson)... Any help would be awesome.

Upvote 0
This was my first portable (that's not a picture of me, but age is close). Before that I had the "hard-wired" Moto mobile phone with the pigtail window antenna and then a portable "bag-phone."

I carried the phone in the picture with me around at Disney World for a week. Fortunately the kids were in "carts" with a basket. $1/minute for calls were the going rate. No contracts, just buy your phone and take service.

firstwirelessphonemotor.jpg

Upvote 0
Circa 1972. When we were out playing in the woods, my parents used this to tell us to get back to the house for dinner.

Ah, simplicity is sometimes the best way to communicate. And how strange that no one has mentioned this little gem in a 'trip down the memory lane' thread (or is it just me?):

40801608.jpg

Truly my very first phone (courtesy of Fisher Price). After all, it never asked for a $10 month 'enriched data experience' fee--just a gentle tug on the string.;)

Upvote 0
Ah, simplicity is sometimes the best way to communicate. And how strange that no one has mentioned this little gem in a 'trip down the memory lane' thread (or is it just me?):

40801608.jpg

Truly my very first phone (courtesy of Fisher Price). After all, it never asked for a $10 month 'enriched data experience' fee--just a gentle tug on the string.;)

Hands down best post of the thread. Does that even get 2G?

Reactions: Sir Francis Droid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones