• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cell Standby and Phone Idle killing battery?

redsox985

Android Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2011
I know this has been covered before, but I am yet to find a fix for it. Here's my usage from today. I am quite disappointed that I hit 30% after 10 hours and change. My DX could get 24 hours til it died, and that wasn't debloated at all. The small spike in the graph is where I added CWM and had it plugged in to transfer the apk. Anyways, does anyone know how this can be fixed? My time with out service has to be close to, if not, zero as I'm within a mile or two radius of Pittsburgh, and can see a tower from my front yard.

What can I do root wise to help improve this as I doubt there's little to do to fix it that doesn't require root?

EDIT: I forgot to note, I have Autokiller Memory Optimizer running at Ultimate.

CAP201109172354.jpg

The Cell Standby/Phone Idle issue is fixed in the leaked (lifted off of Motorola's servers) update, so there's no reason to think that it won't be fixed in the official OTA which will be available sometime in the near future. I've seen people speculating that it was an issue with the radio not turning off and consuming too much battery, etc., but I believe it is a reporting issue. i.e. Your phone THINKS that the battery is much lower than it is. The reason I believe it's a reporting issue is because I checked my battery stats before I applied the leaked (unofficial) update and the stats claimed that Cell Standby and Phone Idle were in the 40% range. Right after I installed it, I checked that battery stats and it already showed them at 6% and 5% respectively. After installing, my battery life went from very poor to very good. There's a thread in here about the leaked update if you want more info on it. It's not without risks, but I'll let you make up your own mind.

Reactions: redsox985
Upvote 0
The Cell Standby/Phone Idle issue is fixed in the leaked (lifted off of Motorola's servers) update, so there's no reason to think that it won't be fixed in the official OTA which will be available sometime in the near future. I've seen people speculating that it was an issue with the radio not turning off and consuming too much battery, etc., but I believe it is a reporting issue. i.e. Your phone THINKS that the battery is much lower than it is. The reason I believe it's a reporting issue is because I checked my battery stats before I applied the leaked (unofficial) update and the stats claimed that Cell Standby and Phone Idle were in the 40% range. Right after I installed it, I checked that battery stats and it already showed them at 6% and 5% respectively. After installing, my battery life went from very poor to very good. There's a thread in here about the leaked update if you want more info on it. It's not without risks, but I'll let you make up your own mind.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably just stick it out til the OTA comes through, as I would like to be able to get future OTAs. Is the leak rooted?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I'll probably just stick it out til the OTA comes through, as I would like to be able to get future OTAs. Is the leak rooted?

Yes, you can root the leaked update. I just rooted my phone yesterday with the 1-click root. Rumors have gone around that they may prevent rooting in the official OTA, but they're just that ....rumors. No way to know until it gets here.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can root the leaked update. I just rooted my phone yesterday with the 1-click root. Rumors have gone around that they may prevent rooting in the official OTA, but they're just that ....rumors. No way to know until it gets here.

This decision is going to kill me. I really want the improvements of the OTA, but I'd be heart broken if it was un-rootable. I'd definitely go to the leak if that was the case, I'll take an unofficial update, that isn't perfect, but rooted, over the real thing.

Upvote 0
This decision is going to kill me. I really want the improvements of the OTA, but I'd be heart broken if it was un-rootable. I'd definitely go to the leak if that was the case, I'll take an unofficial update, that isn't perfect, but rooted, over the real thing.

My guess is the official OTA will be different. Question is will be the rooting be blocked.... Since the main issue was always blocking wifi tethering and they now have that at chip level, perhaps VZW will be less concerned with rooting.....

I DO see them stopping the radio hack that is being used. Per VZW folks, they are aware of the current hack and are not super happy about it.

Upvote 0
My guess is the official OTA will be different. Question is will be the rooting be blocked.... Since the main issue was always blocking wifi tethering and they now have that at chip level, perhaps VZW will be less concerned with rooting.....

I DO see them stopping the radio hack that is being used. Per VZW folks, they are aware of the current hack and are not super happy about it.

I wonder if they'll do something along the lines of what Microsoft has done for the 360 in terms of flashing the dvd drive to play burnt games. Each console's SN is on file with the Live servers, as well as the drive info, and upon signing in, it pulls the console SN and the drive firmware and if the two do not match what is on the server, you get a console SN ban. I'm sure it's been circumvented by now, but that was the original plan an update or two ago.

As for my battery, I think have Autokiller at the max may have been the issue constantly trying to kill apps that are necessary but exceed the strict limits. Setting it to a more lax limit seems to have helped.

Upvote 0
I wonder if they'll do something along the lines of what Microsoft has done for the 360 in terms of flashing the dvd drive to play burnt games. Each console's SN is on file with the Live servers, as well as the drive info, and upon signing in, it pulls the console SN and the drive firmware and if the two do not match what is on the server, you get a console SN ban. I'm sure it's been circumvented by now, but that was the original plan an update or two ago.

As for my battery, I think have Autokiller at the max may have been the issue constantly trying to kill apps that are necessary but exceed the strict limits. Setting it to a more lax limit seems to have helped.

Since they are now choking devices that breach 2gb of data, seems a waste of time for them to dwell on it.

Upvote 0
Do you use your phone very frequently?
Because i have almost the exact same usage report as you but mine starts to hit 15% after the 24h mark

In comparison...probably. I'm 17 :p

Since they are now choking devices that breach 2gb of data, seems a waste of time for them to dwell on it.

Many of us had data packages prior to this tiered data package plan, and are grandfathered in with our unlimited plans...myself included, although I usually don't exceed a GB per month.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones