• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cell standby battery hog?

Very weird ... not sure about the Cell Standby, but again, I've had a 100% charge this morning around 5:30am and have played with the phone since then (browsing, listening to music, downloading and installing apps, using GPS_ and now, 7 hours later I am still @ 30%

Cell Standby: 25%
Display: 25%
Wi-Fi: 23%
Phone Idle: 6%
Maps: 4%
Words Free: 3%
Android System: 3%
Voice Calls: 2%
Jewels: 2%
Android OS: 2%
Browser: 2%

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that it measures in 10% increments just like previous Motorola phones. 90-99% battery will display to you as 90%, 80-89% battery will display to you as 80% etc.. So don't be alarmed when you see it suddenly drop by 10% from doing something minute.

Cell standby at the top does not necessarily mean it is sucking more juice than it should. It could just as well mean that everything else on the phone sips so little power that cell standby uses a lot by comparison.

Upvote 0
Also it may take a few cycles for the battery to report accurately. I wouldn't worry about it too much during the first few days/cycles.

On mine, I unplugged this morning with 100% charge, haven't used it much, maybe 30 emails pushed out to it and a 5 minute call. it's now showing 70% left after 4 hours standby.

Much better than the Thunderbolt. That thing would drain through an extended battery doing nothing but sitting at standby in 4 hours.

Reactions: tma
Upvote 0
Very weird ... not sure about the Cell Standby, but again, I've had a 100% charge this morning around 5:30am and have played with the phone since then (browsing, listening to music, downloading and installing apps, using GPS_ and now, 7 hours later I am still @ 30%

Cell Standby: 25%
Display: 25%
Wi-Fi: 23%
Phone Idle: 6%
Maps: 4%
Words Free: 3%
Android System: 3%
Voice Calls: 2%
Jewels: 2%
Android OS: 2%
Browser: 2%

Mine was fully charged about 7:45am. I've been downloading apps, browsing, texting, and customizing. My battery is already 20%

cell standby: 38%
display: 35%
phone idle: 17%
android os: 4%
browser: 4%
market:2%

Upvote 0
I have a strong wifi connection at home so I use a market app called 'Data Switch' by TomatoX to turn off my (lousy) data connection. I have poor data reception at home and wifi is plenty fast enough. That has greatly reduced my battery usage. Also, if you are in a poor 4g area, you might want to choose cdma only in the Mobile Networks setting. In good areas set it back to cdma/lte for 4g.

Upvote 0
Mine was fully charged about 7:45am. I've been downloading apps, browsing, texting, and customizing. My battery is already 20%

cell standby: 38%
display: 35%
phone idle: 17%
android os: 4%
browser: 4%
market:2%

Cell standby should never be that high unless the phone has been sitting idle for 12 hours. Standby is usually about 5 percent or less on my Charge in 4g.

Upvote 0
CAP201109091802.sized.png

I've used the heck out of my phone today and the battery has been great. Downloaded a bunch of apps and surfed too. No complaints here!

BTW I have three exchange accounts on Push with 1500 contacts, email and five calendars, gmail push, facebook, tango, fring etc.

Upvote 0

I've used the heck out of my phone today and the battery has been great. Downloaded a bunch of apps and surfed too. No complaints here!

BTW I have three exchange accounts on Push with 1500 contacts, email and five calendars, gmail push, facebook, tango, fring etc.

Wow! I got the extended battery and am not getting close to this life out of it. I am gradual dialing back, started with full brightness and animations. I still can't figure out why cell standby is useing so much juice. Is it part of 4g? I have 0% down time. What does cell standby do?

Upvote 0

Based on my current usage (light since I am at home), I should get nearly 28 hours out of it.

I always use it harder when I am at work/at the bar.

Not to mention I also tun off 4G once I am at home since I have wifi here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones