• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cell Standby issue - please sign "petition" for Samsung

Signed

I'm quite happy with the battery life I'm getting so far but think it would be better if they fixed this issue.

I've only had my GS3 since last Saturday and I'm getting 2 days. But it drops about 15% over night. Alright I leave wifi and full sync on but I did that with my Desire HD and that only lost 3-5% at night.

Again I'm not complaining, as long as I can get a full day I'm happy, I just think it could be better

Upvote 0
Sorry for what might be a stupid question, but if Samsung fix this does it mean that our batteries will last longer...?

No. battery life is already good (or should be with the correct settings).

All it means is Cell Standby will be calculated so it will appear a lower %. The overall % wont change though. Whatever % is reduced from cell standby, will be added to the other components, such as screen, android os...

Upvote 0
I seem to always get high cell standby usage on my Droid X. I've preordered the S3 so we'll see how it compares once it arrives. If this is due to incorrect values in a framework would the issue exist regardless of what carrier's network the phone is on? I guess I just don't fully understand the nature and origin of the proposed incorrect values and framework that were given as a possible cause for this.

Upvote 0
My colegue also has S3 and he gets 2 days of battery.

Im getting like 9 hours max and this is so disappointing. And this is with almost no use, just checking some things online and making few calls

If Samsung come up with update for this, will it solve the problem?
Cause if not I'll have to try to get a replacement.

Upvote 0
@Kkall> This issue is about how the battery stats are wrong, in regards to how Cell Standby is reported in the battery usage stats.

When (If?) Samsung rectifies this, the only difference you will notice is that the reported Cell standby drops to the correct, actual, number.

Your very bad battery time is another issue all together. Possible causes are bad reception, dud battery, bad charger, settings for updates, screen brightness, rouge app, syncing...

Have you let the phone die completely a couple of times? This might help break in the battery...

Upvote 0
@Kkall> This issue is about how the battery stats are wrong, in regards to how Cell Standby is reported in the battery usage stats.

When (If?) Samsung rectifies this, the only difference you will notice is that the reported Cell standby drops to the correct, actual, number.

Your very bad battery time is another issue all together. Possible causes are bad reception, dud battery, bad charger, settings for updates, screen brightness, rouge app, syncing...

Have you let the phone die completely a couple of times? This might help break in the battery...

Hm I thought that the cell standby issue is causing my battery to drop so fast. I treated the phone from day one like my last htc and I cant figure out what can be the problem. Ill try letting the battery to die some more times and if that is not helping then what? :(

Upvote 0
Here's an update for you all:

Dear Dan

Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the following assistance.

In response to your query, please be advised that our engineers are currently investigating the issue you have described. If they find it to be a genuine fault then a firmware update will be rolled out as soon as possible. Due to the nature of our investigation we are unable to advise on a timescale for any possible update.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards

David

Upvote 0
OK, if cell standby issue isnt affecting the battery life, why it is such a great problem?

Wouldnt it be a better idea to sign a petition for the bad battery life on some devices (such as mine)?

Dont get me wrong, no bad feelings :) its just that my battery seems to drain fast and Im just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Upvote 0
OK, if cell standby issue isnt affecting the battery life, why it is such a great problem?

Wouldnt it be a better idea to sign a petition for the bad battery life on some devices (such as mine)?

Dont get me wrong, no bad feelings :) its just that my battery seems to drain fast and Im just trying to get to the bottom of this.

Initially it appeared to be a battery life issue, when this thread started. Then we realised battery life was actually really good. I still want accurate battery stats as this is the basis for identifying battery issues in the future.

If you are having battery issues, then something else is using your battery. You will need to investigate this as I for one am very happy. Its better than my 1Ghz single core HTC desire.

Apps like "betterBatteryStats" may be a good starting point.

Although you say you have bad battery, why not post your stats and pics in one of the existing battery threads?

Images are only useful if you include:

Main battery stats page
Battery stats graph (detailed by pressing it)
Screen on page.

Reactions: jroc and Doit2it
Upvote 0
I have a screenshot of my usage here. Not sure if its what you guys are talking about.....mines a GSM version.

pBPbRvCO

Not sure if it worked since I'm in my phone and linking to my dropbox. If not heres the URL http://db.tt/pBPbRvCO

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones