• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cellphone without a ROM

androidvm24

Lurker
Jan 26, 2013
Howdy,

I am having trouble loading ANY rom into my HTC Evo 3D for Virgin Mobile.

I started out by following this guide:

How to Root/ROM Your HTC Evo V 4g with HTCdev and Fastboot - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I didn't do the S-OFF option.

Then I loaded MIUI but I didn't like it because some apps were in chinese.

Then I loaded another ROM but I didn't like that one because the battery life update was choppy.

So then I went through 10 other roms and each one of them failed to load properly.

So then I went back to the one that I knew that worked and that doesn't work either anymore.

My problem is that that it just reboots forever.

I can see the HTC splash screen then the custom splash screen and then it just reboots.

So I have moved mountains and drank oceans to troubleshoot my way out of it.

Here is what I have tried:

Super wipe : https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pdpcxg91mfsdu2/Modified_SuperWipe.zip

I tried wiping everything manually 5 times each:

A) Wipe Cache
B) Wipe Dalvik Cache
OPTIONAL) Wipe Everything (Data Factory Reset)

I've tried the fixed permissions option.

I have tried formatting everything that you can format in the recovery tool.

I have tried to recover from my backup as suggested in the guide and I get the exact same problem.

So in my newbayshousness I tried to find a RUU because I heard it was the ultimate recovery tool but I cant find the exe on the latest version.

I only find this version: 1.13.652.2

But when I run the utility it tells me that my version is newer and it wont allow me to downgrade. I believe I have 1.14.652.0

I can't find this damn file. I've seen screenshots of it and it turns out its not an executable just a zip. I don't know how exactly one would use this ruu to fix my issue.

So basically at the end of the day I am in the right direction? Is this ruu file my Moby Dick ? Does anyone have a link to this file ?

or am I way off on the solution?

I saw another user with the same problem:
htc evo virgin mobile has 4g and 3d plz help - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

They suggested they downgrade the hboot and install roms.

How does one downgrade the hboot (i have 1.57) in my condition without a ROM ?

I don't think that is my problem because I had 2 ROMS that were successfull but no longer are.

Thanks a bunch for your guidance.

Correct. I am s-on and using twrp to flash roms.

So the problem is now i can't find a stock rom for my phone. The RUU gives me error 140 and i can't use the controlbear utility to do s-off because it requires the phone to already have a rom.

is there another way to do an s-off ?

You do not have to have S-Off, what you need to do is the unroot process which is in the stickies, then the RUU ROM will work.

Reactions: androidvm24
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones