• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Celluar vs Wireless

davidvan

Lurker
Dec 30, 2009
Hi everyone.. looking through the forum I am obviously among experts here..

Got my magic.. its nice..
Question I have is.. how do I know if it it using my wiress connection or using my celluar connection.

Obviously at home if I use it, I want it to use my wireless connection ande not use my plan from my service provider...

Huge thanks in advance ..
David

If I am in a cafe that has wifi and have my wifi turned on and I surf the net will the phone use wifi automatically? Rather that cell service? Do I have to adjust one of the controls to ensure it does this? I have an HTC Magic from Rogers. Unlocked. Using 1.5 Lately it seems that it is using the cell service. I have NetCounter and I do not see that I am using wifi as I had hoped.

Upvote 0
If you see the wifi symbol then your internet data will use it, there isn't a preference to set, it does the right thing. If your data is traveling the cell network you'll see activity on the cell symbol (3G, arrows etc). Of course you'll have to setup one time for each WiFI AP/hotspot. Note that some of those freebie hotspots are locked to web traffic only but home WiFI shouldn't be a problem. And some others require a click on a redirected web page so if you suspect trouble then open the browser and see if you get online or need to click their stupid acknowledge page first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones