• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Certain apps not connecting over wifi

Hi, i am having the same problem as most of you.
1. VPN on all ok
2. VPN off some apps connect others dont such as the browser

Samsung Note 9

Like the others then, something is blocking or filtering your data. A VPN basically bypasses or tunnels through any blocking the router or ISP might be doing, like firewalls, port blocking, etc.

I have a similar situation with living in China.

1. VPN on, all OK.
2. VPN off, anything Google can't connect, same for Facebook, Amnesty International, etc.

Any phone, tablet, or computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Like the others then, something is blocking or filtering your data. A VPN basically bypasses or tunnels through any blocking the router or ISP might be doing, like firewalls, port blocking, etc.

1. VPN on, all OK.
2. VPN off, anything Google can't connect, same for Facebook, etc.

Weird, I am in Saudi Arabia, strange thing is that only affects Android and not Windows.

Upvote 0

1. VPN on, all OK.
2. VPN off, anything Google can't connect, same for Facebook, Amnesty International, etc.

Any phone, tablet, or computer.
Hi Guys
just Change your DNS configuration to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
watch this Video :)
Enjoy your apps again :)

Upvote 0
I've been having similar issues to this. I have a Galaxy S10. It only happens on my phone and no other devices in the house (roommates have iPhones, my roku and PC works just fine). Netflix works fine for me, my issue is the Play Store won't download apps when I'm on my home wifi, it just says "waiting for download" in perpetuity (see attached picture). Another issue is on Twitter, text will load, but profile pictures as well as pictures and videos users post won't load (other picture). My email used to not be able to refresh, but that seems to have fixed itself somehow. When I run speed tests, I still see a full 400+ mbps so it's not something on that end.

No issues on public wifi networks, such as at Starbucks. No issues on other private networks such as at my girlfriend's house.

I've tried changing the DNS to the google 8.8.8.8. I don't know what to do as far as setting a static IP, I think my ISP (Spectrum) doesn't allow for static IPs on residential accounts. I also don't know about turning off IPv6, it doesn't seem like that's an option in my router settings. I've tried using NordVPN and the problems still persist. I've had a tech from Spectrum come out and check. He ran new wires, replaced my router and modem, and such, but he's not really a networking guy so that didn't help.

Any ideas? It's super annoying to have use my mobile data for downloads, along with losing that great 400+ mbps speed. Screenshot_20190923-090939_Google Play Store.jpg Screenshot_20190923-091801_Twitter.jpg

Reactions: Li7
Upvote 0
I've tried using NordVPN and the problems still persist. I've had a tech from Spectrum come out and check. He ran new wires, replaced my router and modem, and such, but he's not really a networking guy so that didn't help.

So unlike everyone else in this thread, using VPN doesn't fix this problem for you? Because a VPN should bypass any blocking, firewalls, filtering etc.

I don't know of anything else you could try.

Upvote 0
My gf has a Moto G5 and I have a Moto G6. After my ISP updated my setup, some apps also stopped working for us here in my home. I've got Android 9, the phone's updated. I've tried changing DNS, forgetting the networks, disabling IPV6, rebooting the neighborhood, black magic, to no avail. My bank's app never works when I'm on my home's wifi. It's super frustrating. Man, I do miss my old phone :-(

Upvote 0
Solved!!! Dont ask why this works. Here is what i did.
1. Disconnect wifi
2. Forget wifi
3. Scan Wifi
4. Click on the Wifi network
5. Advanced
6. Setup Static IP
7. Introduce pwd
8. Connect

It worked for me!!!! Let me know you guys.

Well that worked for me.
I'm using a Moto X4 and after last nights update, I had several apps that will only work on my data connection.
These are the steps on my Moto X4 running Andriod 9 (different phones and/or Android version may differ slightly to completely)
- Settings -> Network & Internet -> Wi-Fi
- Press the gear icon to the right of the WiFi name that is giving you problems
- Press "Forget"
- Select the WiFi network you just forgot
- enter the WiFi password
- DO NOT CLICK CONNECT after entering password
- Click advanced Options (you may need to scroll down a tad)
- scroll down to IP Settings
- select Static
- You will need to know how to access your router for the next step in my case it's 192.168.1.1, it varies from router to router and probably listed on the Router itself somewhere.
- Under IP address I put 192.168.1.55 (again this number depends on your router)(Also the last digits can be any number up to 128 I believe, you'll want something that isn't already used on your router, that's why I selected 55)
- Under DNS 1 I put 8.8.8.8
- Under DNS 2 I put 8.8.4.4
- Now select Connect
Your device should now be connected to the Internet and hopefully the apps are now able to use WiFi again.

Reactions: karasahin
Upvote 0
Hello. I have issues with one certain app, can't get it working at one WiFi network. It's working via VPN. So I changed to Static IP, set up both Google DNS, but it didn't help. Still works only via VPN. What else can I try? I can't access router easily and I don't want to, because I share this network with my colleagues and I don't want to mess up theirs connection.

Btw I've downloaded app so I can write at this forum. But I can see only page 1 replies here, no way to access page 2 comments, only at browser. Funny app 😁.

Upvote 0
Well that worked for me.
I'm using a Moto X4 and after last nights update, I had several apps that will only work on my data connection.
These are the steps on my Moto X4 running Andriod 9 (different phones and/or Android version may differ slightly to completely)
- Settings -> Network & Internet -> Wi-Fi
- Press the gear icon to the right of the WiFi name that is giving you problems
- Press "Forget"
- Select the WiFi network you just forgot
- enter the WiFi password
- DO NOT CLICK CONNECT after entering password
- Click advanced Options (you may need to scroll down a tad)
- scroll down to IP Settings
- select Static
- You will need to know how to access your router for the next step in my case it's 192.168.1.1, it varies from router to router and probably listed on the Router itself somewhere.
- Under IP address I put 192.168.1.55 (again this number depends on your router)(Also the last digits can be any number up to 128 I believe, you'll want something that isn't already used on your router, that's why I selected 55)
- Under DNS 1 I put 8.8.8.8
- Under DNS 2 I put 8.8.4.4
- Now select Connect
Your device should now be connected to the Internet and hopefully the apps are now able to use WiFi again.
I think it works for me as well, thank you so much!

Upvote 0
I'm trying to solve this issue. Have two Moto G7's one CDMA other GSM. Trouble is on GSM phone, else phone are identical and accessing same wifi. Amazon Shopping app won't work unless I turn off WIFI and use mobile data. Neither does Fidelity, Ebay, Others, just sit and spin till I shut wifi off and data takes over. Other apps appear to work fine like Facebook, Menards, Home Away, etrade, LinkedIn,

I actually changed out my router thinking it was the issue and nothing changed. Same apps work on the same network using the same phone except that it is set up as CDMA but why would that affect WIFI. It seems to. HELP!

Upvote 0
Im having the same issue. But the issues only happens with my phone. My tablet tv and pc all connect flawlessly.
I have an xperia xz3 with android 9.
I can send text messages via snapchat but not pictures. I cant log into ebay at all or search for anything on ebay. Cant log into amazon either.
Havent tried netflix on my phone.
I'm having the exact same problems as this.
Is there any solid solution to this yet?

Upvote 0
I have the same exact problem, I have galaxy s10+ and i can't access galaxy store with my wifi and moreover i can't update my software with my wifi and only works with my mobile data or VPN connected. This is very annoying that I have to turn on VPN everytime, does anyone have recommended solution

If you're having that kind of problem with online connectivity, it might not be an issue with your phone but more a problem with your broadband connection or your modem, or your router if you have your own discrete one. Have your restart your modem (or modem/router unit) and your phone to see if the problem persists?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I have the same exact problem, I have galaxy s10+ and i can't access galaxy store with my wifi and moreover i can't update my software with my wifi and only works with my mobile data or VPN connected. This is very annoying that I have to turn on VPN everytime, does anyone have recommended solution

If a VPN works, that implies there's something external to the phone that's blocking access, like the router, a firewall, the ISP, etc.

FWIW I have to use a VPN to access Play Store for app downloads and updates, because of a firewall, I'm in China.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
If you're having that kind of problem with online connectivity, it might not be an issue with your phone but more a problem with your broadband connection or your modem, or your router if you have your own discrete one. Have your restart your modem (or modem/router unit) and your phone to see if the problem persists?
I tried everything but nothing seems to work, should I change the modem instead?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones