1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Certain email domain names break silence?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mikalik2, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mikalik2

mikalik2 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    I've recently switched from a blackberry to a droid 2 global through Verizon. I love the new phone, but i've run into one problem.

I 've got an app to break the silence setting when my wife calls. Now I need an app that can do the same for emails. My work uses email notifications 24 hours a day, and I'm on call.

I need an app that will recognize a domain name (I.e. "@mywork.com") and will allow notifications to sound even if the phone is on silent. This function would be similar to Verizon's RIM service for blackberry.

I'm using a non-rooted Motorolla droid 2 global and primarily use a hotmail account but would be willing to use gmail if necessary. Thanks for responses.

Advertisement

2. mikalik2

mikalik2 Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2011
    sorry to bump it, but can anybody help?

3. vosg

vosg Android Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Male
    Software Developer (retired)
    Antwerp, BE
    I believe Tasker can do that but I'm not sure.

4. james2kuk

james2kuk Newbie
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    One option might be to setup a secondary 'alert' email address. Have your primary email forward any incoming mail from the desired domain to your 'alert' email and have this account setup with sperate notifications?

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    Tasker could do this if you're using the K9 mail client. But using Tasker for just this is really overkill, and would have a steeper than average learning curve. On most devices you could also use Tasker for the phone call part of this too (I've heard some devices have a problem changing the ringer volume while the phone is ringing).

6. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Touchdown certainly will with its rules but it's not germane unless the OP is using an Exchange account. I'm sure there's another email app that can do this but my Exchange account is the only account I use. I haven't messed around much with any other email apps. K9 and Maildroid are commonly suggested for their features and are probably good starting points.