• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Certain Facebook Messenger inbox messages do not open directly from notification bar

Not sure if this should be posted under S4, but since its the phone I'm using, I'm posting it here.
My S4 is rooted and running on 4.4.2. Over the last few weeks I have noticed a strange glitch specific to the Messenger (standalone FaceBook messaging app). All new messages show up as a notification alert from where I can directly open into the message except for those from one particular user. In this case, when a new message from the user comes in, it shows up like all other messages in the notifications bar, but I am unable to open the message from there. I have to instead open the App, scroll thru the list of inbox messages in there and then open the new message. I have tried clearing cache, re-installing the app, I have also deleted the conversation thread with the said user (we had a conversation thread going back a few years) but it doesn't fix the issue. What's pertinent is, this same user's messages cannot be opened from the messages section on the FB app either while all other messages clicks in the Facebook app message section will automatically redirect the click to the Messenger app and open up from there.
Any idea what could be the reason?

I'm having the same issue, except it's with all users. Tapping a message in the notification bar does nothing. I have to leave chat heads open if I don't want to have to go into the app every single time I get a message. It's been happening since the update before the most recent one.
Finally, I've found someone else with this problem! I knew it wouldn't be just me. I'm using a Moto X with Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) and the latest version of Facebook Messenger, and I can never access a message from the notification. I just clear it since I need to manually open Messenger to see the full message. I reported the problem to Facebook (Settings > Report a Problem, at the bottom) but who knows if they'll follow up on it, it seems to be a pretty rare issue... :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones