1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Certain features not available on S3 when using Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EhJayAych, Dec 22, 2012.

1. EhJayAych

EhJayAych Newbie

I hope someone knows what to do about this issue because its really annoying. Whenever I use a wi-fi connection certain features don't work properly, such as:

- Browser doesn't work - "Unable to connect to proxy server"
    - Flipboard articles don't work - "Please try again later"
    - Google Now doesn't work - "No connection"

Basically all active applications which use an internet connection don't work, but background functions do, such as downloading/installing app updates. However, if I turn off wi-fi and use 3G, everything works fine. I've tried on two different wi-fi connections and it was the same situation on both of them. Does anybody know of a fix?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ronbien

ronbien Well-Known Member

I don't have your answers yet but I am curious if you use a proxy server, perhaps at work with your phone?
    Good Luck!

3. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Android Enthusiast

You do not have access to the internet is what is the problem. Make sure you have rights to connect to the net wherever you see this. With some networks when you connect you have to put in a password.

4. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert

Does this happen every where you connect with Wi-Fi? I have no problem at all using every thing you have listed while on Wi-Fi. Have you had this problem from the start. More details as to how and where you are connecting will help us help you. How long have you had phone. Have you updated to JB? Who is your service provider?

5. EhJayAych

EhJayAych Newbie

I am with WIND mobile (although I don't know if that plays a role in any of this since its wi-fi related) and I've had the phone for 4 months and just recently updates to Android 4.1.1.

Both the wi-fi networks I've tried this on have been in personal residences and I've entered a password for both (it got saved after the first entry so I haven't done so again).

6. Musky

Musky Android Expert

I had this issue at home once and like you said, sync worked fine for email, etc, but any Internet apps didn't, I'd get those same "no connection" notices. As it turned out, when I had turned on my WiFi when I got home, instead of connecting to me secure wireless router, it had connected to an open network at a neighbor's house down the block! LOL

So it was a very weak signal and those Internet apps wouldn't connect. Check which router your phone is connecting to and make sure it is yours, If not, disconnect and manually connect to your router.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews