1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Challenge: Impossible to get back S-on?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vercetti, Apr 25, 2012.

1. vercetti

vercetti Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2012
    hey guys,

after spending all day yesterday trying to get back to a stock unrooted rom with s-on and failing with every try i now seek your advice. i want to send my desire in for repair and my warranty only lasts for 2 more days...

back in the day i rooted and s-off'd the desire (amoled version) with the alpharev 1.8 flash utility and the unrevoked 3.2 program.

until yesterday these were my details:
    S-Off
    Hboot 6.93.1002
    Radio 5.17.05.23
    CM7r2 Layout
    1gb Ext4 Partition, Rest Fat32
    Rom: Mildwild v 3.7

i followed every single tutorial and solution i found in many threads, but still i always end up with s-off in the end. normally i would just have to flash the alpharev stock hboot, then the alpharev downgrader (which nicely indicates "alpharev unlock" in bootloader) and then install the ruu file (by the way i have an unbranded device so i tried different WWE versions). installing the ruu should revert everything back to stock, unroot AND get rid of S-off, but with me only the first two work out. S-off will not move!!!

i also tried bartok's solution over at xda where i extract the nb0 file and the android txt file from the ruu and zip it as PB99IMG.zip to flash it directly via hboot. won't work either. no matter what hboot i end up with i'll still be s-off. after installing the official gingebread ruu -> S-off. ALWAYS S-OFF.

i need to get this done today to send it in tomorrow or the latest in 2 days and i cannot figure out what's going on here. it's driving me absolutely crazy, what's wrong with my htc desire?

plaese guys, help me out!

thx,
    v.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    What hboot do you have after the RUU? Does it still say alpharev?

There are a few devices out there which seemed to be S-Off out of the box. If you have a stock hboot now we probably have to assume yours was one of those, because replacing the alpharev hboot with the HTC one is all we can do anyway.

The important thing is that it doesn't say alpharev.

3. vercetti

vercetti Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2012
    hey,

thanx for answering. depending on which ruu i flash i end up with a different (the according) hboot. 0.93, 0.92, 0.80, 0.75, or 1.002 with the gingerbread ruu.

and no, it never says alpharev after flashing the ruu!

could that actually be a factory s-off desire? never heard about that. plus, couldn't those models be reverted to S-On anyway?
    How could i argument if they said "this is no warranty case because it says S-Off in your bootloader"?

thx,
    v.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    So it sounds like the RUU is overwriting the hboot.

There have been a few factory S-Off Desires sighted round here. Not many though, and I don't know of anyone returning one under warranty. I also don't know how you'd go about setting one of those S-On: the actual NAND security flag on a GSM Desire is inaccessible, and the alpharev HBOOT achieves S-Off on by bypassing rather than overwriting it.

So if it still says S-Off after flashing a HTC RUU I don't know of anything you can do to change it. But if yours is one of the rare factory S-Off ones then they should respect the warranty, because that's nothing you've done. And as the only way we know to S-Off a Desire is via and alpharev/revolutionary hboot, and you don't have one of those any more, then that's the only explanation I can think of.

5. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    There were definitely a few of those. At least one went to HTC for repair as s-on and it came back factory s-off. That was the first I saw. It's not a problem for warranty that I.can see since HTC themselves send them out in to the wild .like that

Tags: