• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chance to upgrade from a Razr to a Razr HD..should I?

J S Machine

Jul 28, 2010
I've had my regular Razr for about 2.5 years now. It is still doing fine. I am one of the last remaining customers on verizon that still has unlimited data. From what I understand, the only way to keep it is to buy a phone outright, or a used phone and activate it that way. Is this the case?

I have the chance to pick up a Razr HD. This is the regular version, not the maxx, altough I wish it was becauase I am constantly fighting battery life.

The only differences I see are a litte bigger screen and maybe a different look. The only reason I would upgrade is because I need a newer phone, and I would like to have a backup 4g phone in case I ever need it. The HD in question was built in May of this year, and is in great shape. The person that has it tried to switch to droid from apple stuff and can't get used to it. They want $125.

Would it be worth the purchase and will I still get to keep unlimited data by switching to it?

I've had my regular Razr for about 2.5 years now. It is still doing fine. I am one of the last remaining customers on verizon that still has unlimited data. From what I understand, the only way to keep it is to buy a phone outright, or a used phone and activate it that way. Is this the case?

I have the chance to pick up a Razr HD. This is the regular version, not the maxx, altough I wish it was becauase I am constantly fighting battery life.

The only differences I see are a litte bigger screen and maybe a different look. The only reason I would upgrade is because I need a newer phone, and I would like to have a backup 4g phone in case I ever need it. The HD in question was built in May of this year, and is in great shape. The person that has it tried to switch to droid from apple stuff and can't get used to it. They want $125.

Would it be worth the purchase and will I still get to keep unlimited data by switching to it?

I have the maxx hd. One other major difference is the size of your internal memory. The Razr HD only has 16gb internal memory whereas the maxx hd has 32gb.

If you happen to be unlucky and get the HD that doesn't allow the boot loader to be unlocked, then you can only use safestrap roms, which means you won't have much space except for one slot.

Hopefully, you'll get a phone that is running version 9.16.6. If so, you'll be able to possibly unlock the boot loader unless someone upgraded it to 9.18.79 and then fastbooted it back to 9.16.6. Once it's been updated to 9.18.79, you're sol on getting the boot loader unlocked.

I had to replace my og droid razr maxx because the battery was swelling up. I got lucky that the Razr Maxx HD they sent me was running 9.16.6. Good thing I refused the update it was asking me about when I booted it up for the first time because I knew nothing about unlocking the boot loader.

If you can't unlock the BL, you can still run safestrap roms, but if you're not getting the maxx version, you're storage will be limited and safestrap versions of roms for the HD are limited.

BTW, I love my RAZR MAXX HD phone. The hdmi out works on my tv for purchases I made for google play movies and TV shows whereas they wouldn't on my og maxx.

The phone itself is pretty snappy and responsive.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Depends on whether new OS updates are important to you or not. Google/Motorola may not be doing any future updates to the RHD & the RMHD'S. It has already been posted that the RMHD will remain on 4.1.2.

This is incorrect. They updated the site where it now says "stay tuned for an upgrade decision".

As it is, if you have an unlocked bootloader, you can already run 4.2 and 4.3 kernels.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones