1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Chances Verizon S2 has LTE?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Janth, May 21, 2011.

1. Janth

Janth Newbie

Just wondering what you guys think are the odds that they would be able to pack LTE in the S2's thin design.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. hahaha what

hahaha what Android Enthusiast

no all the 4g phones verizon has now are hella fat

3. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

This is million dollar question for me. If samsung pulls this together, this phone will truly rule the smart-phone world, not just androids.

4. Janth

Janth Newbie

precisely why I asked, here's hoping

5. If they don't slim down LTE any then no. I don't think VZW will sacrifice form factor for LTE.

I hate to say this, but I think I'm jumping ship on S2 because it'll probably be lacking LTE and because VZW will be sure to tier their data before it releases any dual core goodness.

6. edward90

edward90 Well-Known Member

Slim to none chance ...Verizon can't even release last Gen phones with any sense of urgency ..a Samsung galaxy s2 with lte no way..at&t will release an lte version of this phone before Verizon does..

7. Gibbyson

Gibbyson Well-Known Member

Haha, i think it will either be released on verizon with LTE, or not at all. I hope they figure something out though. This phone would be effing sweet with LTE.

8. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

I think LTE equipped SGSII or SGS3 is definitely in the work at Samsung. But I'm not optimistic on seeing it this year. Even without that, I can't wait to get my hands on it when it comes to U.S. I have fairly good WiFi source at both home and work.
    And LTE network on VZW still seems like half baked with sporadic outages and it's serious battery drainer. I will probably look for second generation LTE phones.

9. edward90

I think 2012 will be huge for lte phones ..but I think most of the high end lte phone will be at&t versions..not Verizon ..Verizon's got a huge problem getting phones to market..

10. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

Verizon is miles ahead of AT&T on deploying LTE network. While the stability of it seems like half baked, it's matter of time that it will be fixed this year. I think their slow pace of new phone introduction right now has to do with testing, validation associated with new LTE network. It will get better in the second half of year.

11. edward90

Since when does at&t worry about network testing? Lol once they start flipping the switch on lte ( which should be next month sometime) they'll flood the market with lte devices ..I'm sure they'll have lots of network problems but when has that stopped them from releaseing phones ..at&t throughs caution to the wind and Verizon is way too cautious ..

12. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

13. edward90

There is no doubt that Verizon is well ahead in the LTE network. More then likely they will have the strongest network coverage. But we aren't talking networks we are talking phones. Verizon flipped the switch on lte six months ago and they have 2 phones. Looking at Verizon's road map I don't see them picking up the pace..so by fall they "may" have 3 or 4 hand sets that are lte..that not an insurmountable lead.

14. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast

The thunderbolt was a good release at the time of LTE's conception. However, the droid charge should have been released before or at the same time as the tbolt. Releasing a similar phone at best 3 months later is not a step forward for Verizon. And let's be honest, the LG revolution that's slated for LTE is a joke to be released even later. While the LTE has been amazing, phones have been garbage especially seeing what's out on the market right now and what's being slated to be released. Hence, I believe there is a 0% change the S2/Function will be LTE. ATT, aka the scum of the earth, has announced their LTE network which looks amazing and they have a phone to match as well in the HTC holiday. Verizon invests heavily int heir infrastructure no doubt, but they suck a big one when it comes to rolling out the latest phones.

15. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

Verizon did have their share of faults on LTE deployment with phones, but it's steadily growing. Given AT&T's horrible reputation on their network quality, I wouldn't take chance with their new LTE network. And Verizon has three LTE phones now which is sufficient for now. Do you want them to have 10 LTE phones on new immature network? Other than Holiday, what LTE phones are in the pipeline on AT&T? By the time Holiday comes, Bionic will also drop on VZW. I'm sure it's matter of time that more LTE equipped dual core phones from Samsung, LG also drop on VZW by the end of year.

16. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

I hate to beat a dead horse, but now that the Droid Charge (SCH-i510)is on the market, what in the world is the SCH-i520 that was leaked out?

Samsung SCH-I520 – New Verizon LTE phone

Could it be that the Verizon S2 will be the i520 and that they're either using the Droid Charge shell as a prototype shell to test the hardware set, or simply plan to refresh the Droid Charge this Fall? I mean, really, the Droid Charge is pretty much an Exynos processor and some internal memory away from being an S2 (minus the thin profile). That would bode well for LTE being included.

17. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast

Looksl ike the shitty droid charge to me.

18. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert

I would hope so, otherwise I wouldn't get it myself, but I live in a 4g city. I think this phone is going to be awesome regardless but I like my Thunderbolt having 4g.

19. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

Yeah, but both model numbers are in Verizon's system, and that picture of the phone is from December so my prototype theory would fit since even the sgs2 hadn't been unveiled let alone released at that point.

20. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

21. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast

Just quickly, LTE = 4G?? correct??
    And that has speeds of MAX 21Mpbs???

22. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

daivik likes this.
  23. daivik

Then although the GSII isn't marketed at being 4G/LTE it kinda is (at least for the 1st gen of 4G/LTE) because it can reach a max speed of 21Mbps.

24. jinwons

jinwons Android Expert

Don't know how HSPA+ is in U.K. But in the U.S, HSPA+ of T-mobile, AT&T gets nowhere near 21Mbps and spotty. Even where it works, it's mostly in 6~9Mbps. Still not so bad for 3GSM network where it works.
    But Verizon 3G network is CDMA/EvDo based which peaks around only 2Mbps. So though their first LTE network is only maxed around 25Mbps, getting 10~14Mbps mostly, that's hugely faster than their 3G CDMA speed. That's why it's big deal for us with them in U.S.

25. daivik

Ahh I see. I was going of info that I've read. As for 4G/LTE/all of the next-gen stuff

UK will be running 4G trials later this year in i think one county or a few towns.

But it's stupid because vast areas of the country are still on rubbish (less than 2MB) speed so we're WAY behind in the phone signal area of tech.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews