• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

change app drawer

hey...

i saw the search for changing the app drawer ...

the problem is that i don't want to use a home replacement like panda, open home, etc etc....

the new 2.1 (on milestone anyway) has 9 home screens, while the home replacements only have 7...plus i don't like the clutter of having an extra home just for that...

so i'm wondering, is there a way to change the app drawer on the bottom to something else without using a home replaement?

the 2.1 update for eclair for milestone gives it up to 9 screens...

the only thing i'd really like to do is either keep one or two apps (one on each side?) of the app drawer button like some home replacements do
or have an "app dock" that is consistent on all screens, that works like open home where there is a star on the side of the screen and you just swipe it to open it up..like a side drawer

Upvote 0

the only thing i'd really like to do is either keep one or two apps (one on each side?) of the app drawer button like some home replacements do
or have an "app dock" that is consistent on all screens, that works like open home where there is a star on the side of the screen and you just swipe it to open it up..like a side drawer

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure home replacements allow you choose how many screens you want up to 10. When I tried ahome on my Eris a long time ago I was able to choose the number of homescreens, but I forget how I did it.

Upvote 0

Helix launcher does what you said in the first paragraph. Just search the market for "helix". It used to require root but should work without although some think it's better with root. It shows up in the market on my Eris, but I've never tried it.

As for the app dock, the only suggestion I know is a home replacement. Many people like pandahome. I bought "widgetpack" (the one from pinkventure) from the market which includes a horizontal dock, but it doesn't hide as you described. It was about $2.99US. A little ugly but it does the job. It also must be manually added to each screen. If that's important I'd say your only option is helix launcher.

Upvote 0
Helix if you want to customize the apps on either side of the launcher but if your like me than your probably just looking to put your phone icon and messaging there. If so, Launcher Pro Beta for the win. I've tried Helix but prefer this. Very smooth, the movement from screen to screen seems to be better than with stock. Not sure how that works, but it does. Check it out, you won't be sorry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones