• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change battery indicator to percentage

Go to xda and look in the dev subforum for the Captivate. There is a very nice status bar mod that replaces the idiotic non-linear Samsung battery status indicator with a variable circle showing the percentage inside it. Fantastic use of screen real estate.

So, I mosied on over to XDA to see what you're referring to and found multiple threads and a ton of pages regarding this mod. Would you be so kind as to filter all the gibberish by posting a link to the current, working solution(s)?

Upvote 0
This only works if you are rooted.

I'm sorry but this is the best way I know of. Installing an app for this will just use more resources...
Thanks. Am I to assume that the currently-listed items on Page 1 of the link (last updated on August 18th) are stable and are the results of over 100 pages of comments?

Actually, try this instead, as I PERSONALLY just tested it myself. It's the easiest method. Indeed as Rhiannon mentions you need to be rooted. All you do is download the file you want (don't even unzip/unrar it), just rename it update.zip and throw it in your root folder. Boot up to recovery and reinstall packages. Make sure you back up your original framework
[MOD]Fightspit's Super Circle Battery with % | version a, b, c & d | Evo Black Bar - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but this is the best way I know of. Installing an app for this will just use more resources...

Actually, try this instead, as I PERSONALLY just tested it myself. It's the easiest method. Indeed as Rhiannon mentions you need to be rooted. All you do is download the file you want (don't even unzip/unrar it), just rename it update.zip and throw it in your root folder. Boot up to recovery and reinstall packages. Make sure you back up your original framework
[MOD]Fightspit's Super Circle Battery with % | version a, b, c & d | Evo Black Bar - xda-developers

Wow. All this for a battery icon replacement. I appreciate the guidance, but my Battery Indicator status bar number works just fine for my needs. I would've considered the switch, but, IMHO, it's not worth it.

Upvote 0
Not true. To can use ADB pull to make a copy of the original framework-res.apk file, and the procedure to apply the file is the same as rooting, but will work through recovery, even if you are not rooted. Applying the mod is more complicated than rooting, and if you are bothering with one, you might as well do the other.

I was referring to the link for the modification as it was posted as a solution. Also, I was under the impression that you need to have root access in order to do what you are suggesting. I am a noob and still learning. Thanks for the info, rooting, is easier, imo.

Upvote 0
I was referring to the link for the modification as it was posted as a solution. Also, I was under the impression that you need to have root access in order to do what you are suggesting. I am a noob and still learning. Thanks for the info, rooting, is easier, imo.

I changed my mind after posting, becuase I am not sure if the script in the mod update.zip needs root or not. It was such a child's play to both, it was a double no brainer anyway.

Upvote 0
It's a low risk procedure to do both. IMHO, you are more at risk from not rooting, than rooting. You are less likely to get a full backup of your phone, and may lose data in the future.

Agreed. Titanium saved my ass a few times. I had to return my original beacause of a hairline crack in the screen and the randown shutdowns. Thankfully I was rooted and backed up with Titanium, I moved everything to my external card, flashed back to stock using Odin and returned it. Came home with the new phone, rooted and moved Titanium to the internal sd and restored everything.

Upvote 0
Just changed my batt icon to the percentage one. The easiest way I have found is to download the update file...email it to yourself, be sure to delete your old update file in the phone if already rooted(this way new update file isnt named update2.zip automatically), save the email attachment and the phone automatically saves it to the right spot. Then reboot.
Easy as 1,2,3 :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones