1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Change bootanimation and logo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DNRDustin, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DNRDustin

DNRDustin Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 27, 2011
    Male
    Code Monkey @ Software Developer
    Nor-Cal
    Could someone please explain the proper way to do this? I have tried replacing the zip. /system/media lets me replace it but doesnt change the animation. /cust/metropcs/us/media says its a read only file system and fails. Im using Ghost commander and know how to switch mount to read/write. I have also tried pushing the file with adb from my computer. I am new to that whole aspect of droiding so maybe i didnt do it right. Looks like it works in cmd line, but when I check the file it hasn't been modified and the animation is still stock on boot. What am I missing? Also, I would like to change the logo. I'm not trying make an animation or logo, just get ones I DL'd off the web to work on my phone.

Advertisement

2. golephish

golephish Member
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Engineer - SDC
    Roswell,GA
    if you figure this out, let us know!

3. ChryzaorFlux

ChryzaorFlux Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Male
    n/a
    Earth
    Hey guys
    Ive just changed mine and it took me all of 5 mins

I am rooted and i used Root Explorer to do it, its a very reliable file manager for processes with require root, alternatively use Super Manager
    Im assuming youve already downloaded your boot animation and its on your SD card,
    (remember to rename your boot animation bootanimation and the file extension should be .zip, so it should look like this bootanimation.zip)

As usual make sure you perform a nandroid backup incase anything goes wrong, like a bootloop.

Make sure you have read/write permissions
    1) Locate your bootanimation.zip
    [It is stored in /system/app or /data/local (some times it might be stored in both, focus on the one found at /data/local because the CPU gives that one more priority)]
    2) Copy your boot animation to a memorable place in your SD card
    3) Go back to your bootanimation in /system/media or /data/local and rename it oldbootanimation.zip (becareful not to change to file extension name, this is a backup)
    4) Locate your boot animation that you want to to, and copy it to /data/local or /system/media, (remember it should be named bootanimation.zip not bootanimation.zip.zip)
    5) Reboot

Tags: