1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Change carriers

Discussion in 'Android Rooting' started by Ndvf, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Ndvf

Ndvf Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2016
    So I original got my Samsung galaxy s5 from Verizon and was quite happy with it. I finished my contract with version and they unlocked my phone. It will no longer update, complains about a non verizon sim and still has all that Verizon crap on it. I don't need the all the features of rooting the phone but would much rather be able to remove all the "features" Verizon added and revert it to a state where it runs exactly as one bought from a non carrier site would. Is that possible or is the only option to root phone and have the cracked version of the OS?

Advertisement

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Check out Package Disabler Pro at the Play Store. It's a paid app for Samsung phones to dissable a lot of the bloat without root.
    Since Verizon locks the bootloader on almost all its phones, custom recovery and custom Roms are limited to modified stock TouchWiz .

Most of the Verizon phones I have owned could receive OTA updates over WiFi if available. May have to remove sim first.Also the Verizon Samsung Software Update and Repair Tool is a handy program to have installed on your PC.

James L likes this.