• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change carriers

Ndvf

Lurker
Feb 23, 2016
So I original got my Samsung galaxy s5 from Verizon and was quite happy with it. I finished my contract with version and they unlocked my phone. It will no longer update, complains about a non verizon sim and still has all that Verizon crap on it. I don't need the all the features of rooting the phone but would much rather be able to remove all the "features" Verizon added and revert it to a state where it runs exactly as one bought from a non carrier site would. Is that possible or is the only option to root phone and have the cracked version of the OS?

Check out Package Disabler Pro at the Play Store. It's a paid app for Samsung phones to dissable a lot of the bloat without root.
Since Verizon locks the bootloader on almost all its phones, custom recovery and custom Roms are limited to modified stock TouchWiz .

Most of the Verizon phones I have owned could receive OTA updates over WiFi if available. May have to remove sim first.Also the Verizon Samsung Software Update and Repair Tool is a handy program to have installed on your PC.

Reactions: James L
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones