1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Change Device ID

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nicole79, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Nicole79

Nicole79 Lurker

Is it possible to change your device's ID. Say an app that was downloaded pulled your device ID so even if you do a master reset on your phone that app will always reconize your phone.

Is there a way to change that? Im not sure if im making sense. I hope someone will understand what im trying to say.

Thank you

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Welcome Nicole!
    As in, make the Play Store think that your phone is a Galaxy Nexus instead of a Note 2?

3. Nicole79

Nicole79 Lurker

Um.. I guess im trying to prevent an app from storing my phone id on their server and if I cannot is there a way to change it so apps that already have it stored cannot link to my phone.

Im sorry im trying to explain it.

4. Nicole79

Nicole79 Lurker

I downloaded an app
    Apparently it stores my phone ID
    I can delete the app
    I can even master reset my phone
    Change my sims ID card
    But if I download the app again it automatically reconizes my phone

I dont want that

5. Mikestony

VIP Member

No problem ;)
    I'm not sure on what ID an app would store. :hmmmm:
    I'm not even sure if an app stores ID's....I could be confused too:)

Can you give an example of what app you are talking about?

6. Nicole79

Nicole79 Lurker

Well they assign your device an unique ID and I guess im not sure how it works but it will always reconize your phone.

Say you first download the app. You have to do a user name etc. Well if you delete that app and download it again.. most ask you again to register.

This one doesnt. This one somehow reconizes your phone. No matter what you change.

7. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

There has to be a way to do it though I don't know how.

I know it can be done because if you change ROMs and reinstall titanium backup it says the device ID has changed and asks if you want it to change it back.

8. Nicole79

Nicole79 Lurker

Well hopefully im in the right place to figure it out. Lol. Ive searched but not sure if im searching properly as its hard enough for me to explain it. I wasn't sure if rooting my phone and changing my ID would work and I dont want to do it unless its possible it would work.

I want my phone secure to so no one can pull my data. Thats my next question. How im able to do that.

9. Mikestony

VIP Member

Ah yes, you are correct. Is that the ID that the apps look for to function?

@Nicole, I'm just curious as to what the intent is? I would surmise your phone's ID is stored on the app server.

10. Nicole79

Nicole79 Lurker

Honestly its more of a mission now. Its nothing horrible but now im determined to be smarter than the app. I know it sounds silly but thats my main goal. Figuring it out.

Second I hate the idea of someone permanently having my phone information.

11. Mikestony

VIP Member

Perhaps after a factory reset, sign in with a different google account? :)

12. Nicole79

Nicole79 Lurker

I have done that. Set up a whole new google and even a new email. Its driving me crazy I cannot figure it out and im usually pretty good at these things.

13. paulw035

paulw035 Member

What's the app name in question?

14. DJBurton85

DJBurton85 Lurker

I imagine games like Racing Live - Storm8? From my understanding it must keep your 'Device ID' on their servers which is why it always identifies your device.

It is possible to change it but difficult... It also depends on the device too. I'm still working on this myself but I believe it will require 'root'ing your device. Try 'Device ID Changer' or 'Android ID Changer' first and see how you go. To root the device you could use 'Kingo Root' via PC connection or via a link in 'Android Root (User)'. I'm having great difficulty myself and would provide you with greater detail but it really depends on the device you have. I do know there is something called 'Device ID Faker' but I am not sure if this will serve your purpose.

Keep in mind this process should only be conducted by someone with technical knowledge or you may loose data, apps, etc. I strongly suggest you back-up your phone/device before proceeding with what I suggested.

15. aghunk1

aghunk1 Lurker

its uuid universal unique id which is present in your phone and you need to root your phone to change it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews