• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change double tap action to Google Search

I was not able to find it after a cursory look, I did stumble across the Home2Shortcut app and it allowed me to program the double tap...

It's flaky and not a real solution. It does allow you to set an action on double tap, but if you tap quickly, it still launches s-voice. Even if you have the s-voice home button launch check box off, if you double tap normally, s-voice will still intercept the intent and drop it. With Home2Shortcut, you can set the delay between first and second press to long or very long and then if you double tap slower, it will launch the app you pick, but it's flaky and doesn't always work. Additionally, it means an even long delay when you press a single home tap to get out of an app into the home screen. With very long set, it's about 2 seconds.

The real solution will be to set the action in the double_tap field in Settings.DB with the sqlite editor, but unfortunately that requires root and the non flash method of root no longer works on the S3 with JB. Hopefully the devs over at xda will figure it out soon.

Upvote 0
This controls double tapping the top of the phone (not the screen) to return to the top of some scrollable pages. I think the prior post was asking about double tapping the home button.

If so, it's set in s-voice, not the general phone settings.

That's correct; you have to open S-Voice then go into settings, not the general Android settings.

Thanks for the Home2Shortcut tip. When I double press the home button it now brings up Google Voice instead of S-Voice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones