• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Change from Png to Jpeg on Nexus 4 and 7?

jo69

Android Enthusiast
May 29, 2013
I find myself with lots of photos and images on both my android phone and my tablet
Thought I would copy them to my pc and store them there

However they don't seem to want to show up in Picasa where I view my photos
I now notice they are png files not jpeg as I want

Could not find a solution to convert them in bulk
So ended up importing them into Irfanview and converting them 1 by one

Is there an easier way?

You took them with your phone and tablet? The normal format is jpg. Png is like a digital negative. Are you using the built in camera and software?

I have a Nexus 4, and wouldn't mind PNG.

Click on an image in gallery, then on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner. From the menu, select details. The last line of the details should give you the picture format. Mine says jpg.

Most cameras have jpg, some only use it for the display that shows you the picture you just took. I have my DSLR set to shoot RAW only, but the camera NEEDS the jpg format to display the picture.

Have you ever used a pic for MMS?

Upvote 0
You took them with your phone and tablet? The normal format is jpg. Png is like a digital negative. Are you using the built in camera and software?

I have a Nexus 4, and wouldn't mind PNG.

Click on an image in gallery, then on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner. From the menu, select details. The last line of the details should give you the picture format. Mine says jpg.

Most cameras have jpg, some only use it for the display that shows you the picture you just took. I have my DSLR set to shoot RAW only, but the camera NEEDS the jpg format to display the picture.

Have you ever used a pic for MMS?
No Not photos taken with the camera
They are screenshots taken on the devices Also images sent me in Whatsapp and Powercam images.

Upvote 0
My screenshots are jpg - you might ask the Whatsapp and Powercam users.

I suspect that since Whatsapp has a free user to user, they could use png.

I would also think that a good photo editor might change files. A jpg is lossy (or destructed) every time you open and make a change. PNG can erase all changes, and leave the picture intact. DNG (Adobe's version) does the same.

Here's a link to some. I have heard of Faststone Image viewer
image processing - Looking for trustworthy JPEG batch converter/resizer - Stack Overflow

You have to get all your images as a batch file. Adobe lightroom does it, but that's overkill for what you want. I thought Irfanview had a batch converter.
I'd check these out in the app forum and see if anyone has used them and if they have adware. Or crap like the ASK toolbar. These all go on the PC.

This one is in the Play store.
Easiest Image Converter

Upvote 0
My screenshots are jpg - you might ask the Whatsapp and Powercam users.

I suspect that since Whatsapp has a free user to user, they could use png.

I would also think that a good photo editor might change files. A jpg is lossy (or destructed) every time you open and make a change. PNG can erase all changes, and leave the picture intact. DNG (Adobe's version) does the same.

Here's a link to some. I have heard of Faststone Image viewer
image processing - Looking for trustworthy JPEG batch converter/resizer - Stack Overflow

You have to get all your images as a batch file. Adobe lightroom does it, but that's overkill for what you want. I thought Irfanview had a batch converter.
I'd check these out in the app forum and see if anyone has used them and if they have adware. Or crap like the ASK toolbar. These all go on the PC.

This one is in the Play store.
Easiest Image Converter

Thank you
My screenshots are png.

I have got irfanview on my pc But only used it for cropping. Didn't know about batch converting All this is new to me.

Upvote 0
I'd do it on the PC. You can convert and still make sure the original is saved the way it was taken. If you JPG gets degraded, you can always go back to the PNG and do another.

Besides which, it's always a good idea to back up.

Thank you. Back up to external usually but must find a free way to do it automatically.
As end up copying whole folders every time in case I miss something.

Upvote 0
Anything that converts to JPG usually asks what quality. Adobe has a slider for adjusting, Gimp has the adjustment. I think Irfanview does, too. The higher the number for saving, the larger the jpg.

To send images a while back you had to lower the quality and size to meet the requirements for sending. I still do. Even for posting on Flickr. Pics are 4x6 and at 72 - 100 dpi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones