1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Change from USB mass storage to MTP

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Ozor Mox, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Ozor Mox

Ozor Mox Newbie
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    Hello Android forum!

I dream of a time when I can get my ~30GB music folder containing around 7000 songs on to my new HTC One X+.

My previous phone was an HTC Desire, which had a removable microSD card as well as the USB mass storage device option, meaning I could happily drag the entire folder onto the device from Ubuntu, job done.

My new phone does not have a microSD card, and because it uses the newest version of Android, also no longer has the mass storage device option, only this MTP thing.

Here's what I've tried so far:

MTP on Ubuntu 12.10:

Followed a few blog/forum posts mostly involving command line stuff... Nothing. My computer simply doesn't care that anything is plugged in.

MTP on Windows 7:

Yay, the phone is recognised! Boo, copying the entire folder greets me with "the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected". Copying in much smaller groups of folders works but is a pain in the arse, not to mention how I have to copy my music to the Windows partition then to the phone and how the transfer rates are really quite naff.

AndFTP client on phone transferring from Ubuntu through wifi:

Looked like it was going to work pretty well until it fell over after about 200 files with "the sftp stream ended unexpectedly"... Turned on resume support and this time it got to 1000 before "the connection timed out".

I have read about Airdroid, is this any better, or is it simply an FTP transfer under the hood? It has pretty decent reviews, although it seems to do a lot and all I want is a file transfer.

Overall I am very happy with this new phone but the seemingly simple task of putting my music on it is escaping me at the moment.

TL;DR

If you have a music collection of 30GB/7000 songs or more and an Android phone with no microSD card slot or USB mass storage option, please tell me how on earth you got it from computer to phone.

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

How much storage do you have on your One X+? Is it the 64GB version?

3. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    I had a similar issue with my Nexus 4. Not sure about this MTP. I found that even copying files in small batches, after the first batch or two, the copy ground to a halt and I had to disconnect the phone and re-connect it to get the transfer speed back up.

I thought about using a DOS .bat to copy the files but I couldn't get DOS to see the device as it doesn't connect as a disk.

There's probably a way around this, but with only 150 files to copy, finding it would have taken more time than doing them in small batches. I'm guessing with 7000 files to copy, spending some time Googling could be worthwhile.

4. Ozor Mox

Ozor Mox Newbie
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    chanchan05, yes it is 64GB. I've looked in to cloud storage options but obviously getting a 64GB phone was with the intention of simply sticking all my music on it!

SiempreTuna, I certainly have done a lot of Googling and found that our problems with MTP are not unique and that transferring more than a handful of files isn't exactly reliable. The solution that comes up the most is probably Airdroid so I think I'll give that a go next.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has either tried Airdroid or successfully transferred a boat load of music some other way...

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, I've had success transferring lots of files over (3000 songs, approx 16GB) via MTP, but I did not use Windows Explorer on my PC. I sent the songs over via media sync with WinAMP since I use that as my music player on my PC. If you have WinAMP on your Android, they can also do wireless sync over WLAN.